The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse off than they were, mate. As they are. Uniquely in modern times. Please don't try to spin this as some Tory miracle - it's an insult to all those who've struggled so much these last seven or eight years.

I'm not mate, and nor would I want to make light of it, I just happen to believe people would be worse off if Brown was still in charge.....just my view..

Really? Must I? I'd have thought it was obvious.

If you remain poor throughout your life, then you do not pay a penny.

You only pay once you are comfortable. Of all the cuts the Tories have made, I see this one as one of the fairest and most reasonable.

No, it isn't obvious. You have to earn a certain amount of money per year before you even start paying it back. You may never have to pay it back. How is that a barrier for the poor?

*cough*

If you remain poor throughout your life, then you do not pay a penny.

You only pay once you are comfortable. Of all the cuts the Tories have made, I see this one as one of the fairest and most reasonable.

Good reply........

I'm not mate, and nor would I want to make light of it, I just happen to believe people would be worse off if Brown was still in charge.....just my view..

Pete, I don't often agree with your view, despite being brought up in similar circumstances (from what you have said) but you are entitled (of course) to your view.

Apart from Brown, what moved you to the right?

As someone who will begin uni next year (hoping I get the grades like! Would help if I hadn't found this thread...), I saw the biggest turn off for the poor the living cost of uni. The student loan of 9 grand is directly covered, and will not be paid back until I have a job that keeps me comfortable, assuming I am reasonably thrifty. The living cost of uni, for someone whose parents will barely support me at all, is massively off putting however.

Pete, I don't often agree with your view, despite being brought up in similar circumstances (from what you have said) but you are entitled (of course) to your view.

Apart from Brown, what moved you to the right?

I've never moved to the right. I have strong social feelings and beliefs towards helping those who are not as fortunate and they have never changed, but we differ on how that can be achieved.........for me the destination is the same, merely the route taken may differ........

That backs up my point too though, which is that the living cost is the bigger factor. Uni, for poor people, is a bridge into higher pay. Therefore, a cost you pay back after the bridge is much easier to deal with than a cost you inherit before the bridge.

And the new system actually gives larger maintenance (living cost) grants to the least well off students.

And the new system actually gives larger maintenance (living cost) grants to the least well off students.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not moaning about the barriers to entry. I am simply stating that they are there, but they exist in the form of living costs, not fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back