The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think maybe bringing in online voting as an alternative to the slightly old fashioned polling stations might improve turnout slightly, but I am dead against the compulsory vote.

Another Govt IT project?! Awaits yet another massive failure & £millions wasted before being scrapped.

Whilst I accept we must use technology to widen participation and make the process more efficient, personally I'd hate to see polling stations disappear.

I love actually going to vote. My polling station is 50 metres from where I live, so will be first in the queue just before 7am in the morning.

0b00a41b9f5e8d6f1e0df3fa13505f68a67e25ac89d196e70dac5f37a1553c88.jpg

Why have the election just as exam season starts!? I want to stay up and watch it seat by seat, by with exams looming, I just cannot afford to do this. So for the last 2 exam seasons I have had the World Cup and this.... No distractions though lol

Unashamedly :)

Election evening is as good as Christmas Day for me. Absolutely love it.

Know exactly what you mean, I have to vote in person. Hope the BBC reinstate their traditional Rick Wakeman election night music, shambles in 2010 it was dropped!

Why have the election just as exam season starts!? I want to stay up and watch it seat by seat, by with exams looming, I just cannot afford to do this. So for the last 2 exam seasons I have had the World Cup and this.... No distractions though lol

My exam is on Friday. I'm staying up all Thursday night to watch it come in and then it's my 21st on Friday night after the exam.

I've been looking forward to this for five years!

Does online voting not come with much greater risk of voting fraud?

Having seen some of the shambles in the US voting setup, I'd want some real assurances that it was fair and auditable.

Having seen some of the shambles in the US voting setup, I'd want some real assurances that it was fair and auditable.

Estonia have managed it for 8 years now without any hiccups. I was reading earlier this week about a new security mechanism for mobile voting that uses similar approaches to that deployed in banking. They sounded incredibly confident that they could stop rogue behaviour.

http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1158/invited.pdf if you wanted to read it (I've got a review of it going live tomorrow if you wanted a synopsis)

Apparently Vince Cable has today been asked why he had allowed "a myth to be perpetuated" that the Labour government was responsible for the financial crash.

His response was that it was "not true" that the Labour government ran up a large deficit before the financial crisis.

He said: "I think this very simple view that the Conservatives perpetuate that the last government went in to the banking crisis with a very large deficit simply was not true."

From the mouth of the Business Secretary folks.

Could you explain what this means please? Genuinely interested but have no context.

NDP = Labour
PC = Tories
Wildrose = UKIP

Alberta is one of Canada's most right wing provinces. The Tories been in charge for decades upon decades.

They've been having economic troubles over there due to the drop in oil prices (the current low price of oil makes it hard for tar sands to be competitive). The NDP ran on a platform of diversifying the Albertan economy, Wildrose and the Tories split the right wing vote, and the NDP went from 4 seats to 53.

So we've now got an NDP majority government in Canada's version of Texas.

Ah, the good old "Hanging Chad" that elected Bush .....

Apparently Vince Cable has today been asked why he had allowed "a myth to be perpetuated" that the Labour government was responsible for the financial crash.

His response was that it was "not true" that the Labour government ran up a large deficit before the financial crisis.

He said: "I think this very simple view that the Conservatives perpetuate that the last government went in to the banking crisis with a very large deficit simply was not true."

From the mouth of the Business Secretary folks.

Could will be the most senior Lib Dem left on Friday morning. Alexander is toast, Clegg far from certain to retain his seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back