The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to an entire country being ruled against their will by the Tories whenever they are in power? Swings and roundabouts............................................................

If you're going down that route though, the winning party in any election (even those where a majority was achieved) generally secured around 10 million votes, so 5/6th of the population is usually ruled against their will.

If you're going down that route though, the winning party in any election (even those where a majority was achieved) generally secured around 10 million votes, so 5/6th of the population is usually ruled against their will.

Not going down any route, I'm saying FPTP is what it is. No point moaning about it when it doesn't go your way.

Not going down any route, I'm saying FPTP is what it is. No point moaning about it when it doesn't go your way.
Correct.

The chinless Old Etonians are getting their chums heading media organisations (who no doubt went to school with them) to try and deny the numbers are what matter.

Hilarious. I'd love to see this lot try and govern having fallen short of the magic 323 seats required to do so. Fun and games for 12 months and then getting their privileged, entitled arses kicked into touch in a fresh election.

Make it happen.

Yeah, but who reads it anyway. The 'journalism' is perfectly aimed at its target customer............
Some people hear forget what the SUN did to portray Hillsborough victims, and it was a Labour Politician in Andy Burnham Labour MP who played a major part in developing the latest truth hopefully with the ongoing court case. I would not eat fish and chips out of the SUN newspaper as for its political views I tend to ignore its values, my ageing fathering law will not buy that paper any more since those reports on Hillsborough!
I for one had more sense to never buy that rag!

The SNP scaremongering makes me laugh, they agree with a lot of what Labour want, I think a SNP/Labour coalition would knock spots off the one we have just had.

I think you'll find Sturgeon will be Milliband's bitch, not the other way round, and the things the SNP won't vote for, there will be support in the house from other parties that will make up for their end.

For example, if Trident goes to a vote in the commons, it will be passed with Labour and Tory votes.

I hear what you're saying, but not quite. If you can't be arsed to vote then you don't really have a will to be ruled against.

There are approx 64m people in this country, of which approx 52m are of an age/status eligible to vote. However, only approximately 46m are actually registered to vote. Turnout at the last election was approx 65% or approx 30m people.

The biggest problem isn't the system, its the fact that people aren't voting.

The SNP scaremongering makes me laugh, they agree with a lot of what Labour want, I think a SNP/Labour coalition would knock spots off the one we have just had.

I think you'll find Sturgeon will be Milliband's bitch, not the other way round, and the things the SNP won't vote for, there will be support in the house from other parties that will make up for their end.

For example, if Trident goes to a vote in the commons, it will be passed with Labour and Tory votes.
I hear what you're saying, but not quite. If you can't be arsed to vote then you don't really have a will to be ruled against.

There are approx 64m people in this country, of which approx 52m are of an age/status eligible to vote. However, only approximately 46m are actually registered to vote. Turnout at the last election was approx 65% or approx 30m people.

Should it be like Australia then that you get fined if you do not vote, also in the context of if everyone had to register then we no how many people are in this country?
I would not be against that idea as you could have on the ballot paper none of the above, its not forcing any political will just an idea as I get your point the apathy in election voting is concerning!

Yeah but I wouldn't go down the compulsory voting route either unless every ballot paper had "None of the Above" as a candidate

Yeah but I wouldn't go down the compulsory voting route either unless every ballot paper had "None of the Above" as a candidate
Yes ok , but the PC brigade human rights act would be in uproar if you were forced to vote for any party, what is the fine in Australia
Voting
Is voting compulsory?
Yes, under federal electoral law, it is compulsory for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

For further information see Compulsory Voting.

What happens if I do not vote?
After each election, the AEC will send a letter to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a valid and sufficient reason for failing to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within the time period specified on the notice, you fail to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or decline to pay the $20 penalty, then the matter may be referred to a court. If the matter is dealt with in court and you are found guilty, you may be fined up to $170 plus court costs and a criminal conviction may be recorded against you.

Why did I receive an apparent failure to vote notice?
You will receive a letter from the Australian Electoral Commission if according to our records you did not vote at a federal election. If you did vote, you should respond to the letter before the due date.

What is a valid and sufficient reason for not voting?
It is at the discretion of the Divisional Returning Officer for each electorate to determine what is a valid and sufficient reason for not voting.

Last edited:
o-RUPERT-MURDOCH-570.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ese-ads-sun-mail-david-cameron-rupert-murdoch

Even if every one of those 46 million voted however, given the current polls, the 'winning' party would secure around 16 million votes, or just over 25 percent of the country.

I couldn't say if it's the best system we have, but one thing it certainly doesn't appear to be is governance according to the will of the majority of UK residents.

I heard on LBC some Tory has been accused of making a racist remark calling the SNP Jockalites as he does not want them ion westminster

Boris said something along the lines of "If the SNP get in, it'll be an Ajockalypse"

Should it be like Australia then that you get fined if you do not vote, also in the context of if everyone had to register then we no how many people are in this country?

I don't know what the answer is. Politicians need to up their game to engage the electorate more for sure. Personally I'd lower the voting age to 17 and make secondary schools polling stations. I'd run this alongside schools based hustings etc. Catch em young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back