The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that, but if the degree gives you the opportunity to earn more than £21k a year, surely you are better off than earning less without the degree.

We're talking about £21k as though it's a huge sum of money... I just completely disagree with the policy of charging for university. Especially such huge and inflated fees. I'm in no doubt it's going to continue to rise as well.

People on this board are keen to lament the country's debt yet think it's completely reasonable that a young person should start off their working life with so much wrapped around their neck.

We're talking about £21k as though it's a huge sum of money... I just completely disagree with the policy of charging for university. Especially such huge and inflated fees. I'm in no doubt it's going to continue to rise as well.

People on this board are keen to lament the country's debt yet think it's completely reasonable that a young person should start off their working life with so much wrapped around their neck.

I didn't say I liked them mate, just that they aren't somehow a bigger burden for poor people.

This is why certain parties, like UKIP (oh no he said UKIP must be a racist), want to scrap tuition fees for STEM subjects.

Some degrees are vital to the country's economic and technological progress. Some degrees, like drama, are a luxury and you really should only be doing them if you can afford to.

Yeah, makes sense really. As a condition for free tuition in STEM subjects they have to work in the UK for five years. Just common sense.

This is why certain parties, like UKIP (oh no he said UKIP must be a racist), want to scrap tuition fees for STEM subjects.

Some degrees are vital to the country's economic and technological progress. Some degrees, like drama, are a luxury and you really should only be doing them if you can afford to.

Just as an aside that is also like saying the NHS should not be treating certain conditions. E,G a mountineer is climbing , falls breaks leg needs Air Ambulance to get to Ossie. Should he get free treatment or should persons who have hazardous pastimes be required to have insurance?

How do you propose the government shall pay for University for everybody ? Where will they source these billions from without cutting other important public services ?

Well, coming from someone who is at university now, the fees aren't ideal but the repayments certainly aren't going to put you in bone-crushing poverty like you're making out.

Don't misconstrue my argument. Not once have I referred to university loans equaling bone crushing poverty.

To say £30k worth of debt 'isn't ideal' is a complete understatement in my opinion. It's a huge amount of money, and something I would be looking to eradicate if I had any power.

How do you propose the government shall pay for University for everybody ? Where will they source these billions from without cutting other important public services ?

They paid for it in the past. They can find a way again. It's all about priorities.

Are we a country insistent on keeping a nuclear deterrent so we can pretend that we still matter when it comes to the world super powers or do we want to invest in education, health and the general well being of the population?

The arts, including drama, is integral to society for a whole host of reasons. The impact that drama can have on children in the school environment for example can absolutely not be underestimated, and University courses are required to bring through teachers in those positions. You start going down a dangerous path towards utilitarianism labelling it a 'luxury'.

They paid for it in the past. They can find a way again. It's all about priorities.

Are we a country insistent on keeping a nuclear deterrent so we can pretend that we still matter when it comes to the world super powers or do we want to invest in education, health and the general well being of the population?

That's not really answering the question though is it friend.

If University was free for all you would almost certainly see a free for all, in terms of applications. I'll be conservative and say that 500,000 UK students would apply every year if that was the case. The approximate cost of that education assuming the £9,000 figure stays in place would be £4.5bn per year for three years for every student.

That's an awful lot of money.

The arts, including drama, is integral society for a whole host of reasons. The impact that drama can have on children in the school environment for example can absolutely not be underestimated, and University courses are required to bring through teachers in those positions. You start going down a dangerous path towards utilitarianism labelling it a 'luxury'.

I think the Government should Waive STEMM tuition fees though.

Don't misconstrue my argument. Not once have I referred to university loans equaling bone crushing poverty.

To say £30k worth of debt 'isn't ideal' is a complete understatement in my opinion. It's a huge amount of money, and something I would be looking to eradicate if I had any power.

But you don't have to pay it back under all circumstances though. Should you choose to spend your life working for rewards that are not financial, you may never repay. If you start earning a decent amount as a result of your degree, why shouldn't you pay something back? There is certainly an argument for other benefactors contributing to tuition fees as it's not just the individual that benefits from the degree but how to quantify who pays and how much is the tricky part.

That's not really answering the question though is it friend.

If University was free for all you would almost certainly see a free for all, in terms of applications. I'll be conservative and say that 500,000 UK students would apply every year if that was the case. The approximate cost of that education assuming the £9,000 figure stays in place would be £4.5bn per year for three years for every student.

That's an awful lot of money.

No they wouldn't. Not if we began to offer real alternatives to university for young people.

You're acting as if other countries don't offer free university education. It can and does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back