The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be astonished if the Lib Dem party core would vote for another coalition with the Tories which effectively supported a referendum on the EU. I mean, I know Clegg is a political whore, but there's a line surely?
I gave up on the LD members in 2010 when they allowed their leaders to prop up Cameron. Besides, I think a lot of the 'left wingers' in that party left during the last 5 years and maybe there's a lot of 'orange book' LDs left and who'll rubber stamp another deal?

Is it 50/50 between the unions and party members who decide ?

Not sure how they do it these days, they're moving away from the unions in general I think.

Just checked the odds - surprised to see Burnham as the favourite, with Cooper (no chance) in 2nd and Umunna only 3rd.

If I were a betting man I'd definitely put money on Umunna at 6/1; it's a nap in my view.

Well the thought that the two Ed's and the SNP might get in are having the inevitable effect. The £ is down, the FTSE is down and borrowing (bond) interest rates are going up..........expect the job losses to follow.........
Hang on he is not in power who ever gets in our economy is false anyway!

I gave up on the LD members in 2010 when they allowed their leaders to prop up Cameron. Besides, I think a lot of the 'left wingers' in that party left during the last 5 years and maybe there's a lot of 'orange book' LDs left and who'll rubber stamp another deal?

Just can't see it - I think they'd beg for a deal with Labour first, so they can advertised themselves as "proper" central, as they've worked with the right and left. If they went for a Tory coalition again, not only would they be propping up an EU referendum, but they may as well call themselves Tory Lite and be done with it.

Just can't see it - I think they'd beg for a deal with Labour first, so they can advertised themselves as "proper" central, as they've worked with the right and left. If they went for a Tory coalition again, not only would they be propping up an EU referendum, but they may as well call themselves Tory Lite and be done with it.

Whether they actually got anything out of labour's another matter. I can't see Milliband offering LD's many cabinet positions of any sort of great importance, as would be a mainstay of Clegg's conditions. After all, I imagine Clegg still thinks he's relevant enough to be deputy PM regardless of seat numbers.

Well the thought that the two Ed's and the SNP might get in are having the inevitable effect. The £ is down, the FTSE is down and borrowing (bond) interest rates are going up..........expect the job losses to follow.........

Imagine what it would be like speculating for two years or so about whether we're going to be leaving the EU.

vince cable seems pretty sensible, i can imagine him in a lib/lab coalition

Whether they actually got anything out of labour's another matter. I can't see Milliband offering LD's many cabinet positions of any sort of great importance, as would be a mainstay of Clegg's conditions. After all, I imagine Clegg still thinks he's relevant enough to be deputy PM regardless of seat numbers.

Hence why I feel they'd have to literally beg. Can see Labour going minority first and rely on the SNP.

I'm 90% sure the Lib Dems won't go with the Tories for a second term, but then I'm also 100% sure Clegg is a whore, so who knows.

Not sure how they do it these days, they're moving away from the unions in general I think.

Just checked the odds - surprised to see Burnham as the favourite, with Cooper (no chance) in 2nd and Umunna only 3rd.

If I were a betting man I'd definitely put money on Umunna at 6/1; it's a nap in my view.

The party hierarchy loves Burnham

It's a nice thought, but the LD leadership are ideologically free market liberals and much closer to the Tories than Labour. They'd have done a deal with Blair's Labour, but Miliband Labour has a bit more of a levelling principle to it that the likes of Clegg and Laws and Alexander loathe.

vince cable seems pretty sensible, i can imagine him in a lib/lab coalition
The likes of him and maybe Tim Farron would be open to a deal with Labour. But my suspicion is their distaste for the Tories doesn't run as far as turning down a government post and a nice ministerial salary and limo.

Forget about the LDs: they are firmly in the Tory camp.

It's a nice thought, but the LD leadership are ideologically free market liberals and much closer to the Tories than Labour. They'd have done a deal with Blair's Labour, but Miliband Labour has a bit more of a levelling principle to it that the likes of Clegg and Laws and Alexander loathe.

I don't think whether they're left or right leaning comes into it - they have depicted themselves as centrist whores, for want of a better word (it's the most accurate in my view) and to be that moderating force they so crave to be then they have to be able to appeal to the left and right depending on how the wind changes.

If the coalition is there with Labour, I have no doubt they'll do it. I fully understand their slimy mindset.

I don't think whether they're left or right leaning comes into it - they have depicted themselves as centrist whores, for want of a better word (it's the most accurate in my view) and to be that moderating force they so crave to be then they have to be able to appeal to the left and right depending on how the wind changes.

If the coalition is there with Labour, I have no doubt they'll do it. I fully understand their slimy mindset.
I think they would swing anywhere to get power - how they provided over IDS tactics on all aspects of welfare is a guide they have lost my vote the tory voters may save Cleggs seat for him!
Otherwise he would or maybe a unelected MP one can hope!

It's a logical point you make about them and their long stated views advocating pluralism in government. But Clegg has pretty much laid out his basis for coalition and he's already caved in on the EU issue to facilitate it happening with the Tories.

Only if Labour had the largest amount of seats - pretty much not going to happen - will they turn toward them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back