The Back Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Player Valuation: £150m
Until Coleman gets back in October we have to deal with this defence.

Two seasons ago we conceded 66 goals, last season we conceded 57; already this season we've conceded 6 in 3 games, so we're already on schedule for another horror show.

Our back four has to be:

Garner---Tarkowski---Branthwaite---Mykolenko

If we're not scoring we have to fasten down at the back. That is way more solid than

Patterson---Tarkowski---Branthwaite/Keane---Young.

The very least this manger can do is make that simple enough switch until October.

Although hopefully he's bringing in another CB to hand another option there.

Until Coleman gets back in October we have to deal with this defence.

Two seasons ago we conceded 66 goals, last season we conceded 57; already this season we've conceded 6 in 3 games, so we're already on schedule for another horror show.

Our back four has to be:

Garner---Tarkowski---Branthwaite---Mykolenko

If we're not scoring we have to fasten down at the back. That is way more solid than

Patterson---Tarkowski---Brtanthwaite/Keane---Young.

The very least this manger can do is make that simple enough switch until October.

Although hopefully he's bringing in another CB to hand another option there.

The midfield is chronic. Garner needs to be in the middle.

The midfield is chronic. Garner needs to be in the middle.
Garner needs to be in both, but most of all he needs to be there handing us shape and discipline and aggression at RB until Coleman's return.

Onana is still the most creative force we have in MF, even half firing.

I've said since before game one that Garner will very quickly be moved to right back. Thankfully that cart horse Keane has been found out again. I'm hopeful that the Ashley Young experiment is now over as he's been awful: had his chance and blown it as far as I'm concerned. Tarkowski has been uncharacteristically awful so far, but let's see him in a fixed back four, he's one of a very select few that come out of last season with any credit in the bank.

Garner-Tarkowski-Branthwaite-Myko, as @davek says.

Garner can’t track a winger so no idea why people think a few games against Azerbaijan U21’s at right-back qualifies him. He’s our best midfielder so needs to play there.

The tactics are ruining the back 4 not the players necessarily. This narrow stuff is god awful. Although I would have Mykolenko in over Young (who could play right wing) as he’s better defensively.

Don't want Garner right back as he's the only player we have who's got any composure on the ball. A midfield 3 of Gana, Onana and Doucoure is truly championship level.

I think the back 4 we seen yesterday will be what he sticks with until Coleman is back.

Garner can’t track a winger so no idea why people think a few games against Azerbaijan U21’s at right-back qualifies him. He’s our best midfielder so needs to play there.

The tactics are ruining the back 4 not the players necessarily. This narrow stuff is god awful. Although I would have Mykolenko in over Young (who could play right wing) as he’s better defensively.
He wouldn't be tracking back with a winger if his position was RB.

'kin ell.

Gueye needs to be punted into space and for that reason alone Garner needs to be in the middle.
As MOTD pointed out last night, he started the rot off when we conceded by deserting his position: that made Branthwaite move out of his central position to fill the space Gueye was in with Young and the cross comes in from that and we're all over the place in the 6 yard box.

Gueye was an asset last season and can be again though. Just needs to get up to speed. Also, Onana has zero discipline so maybe he's affected by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.