The Dead Thread

Bernard Hill, formerly of the Everyman Theatre… big ManU fan… and famous for being Yozzer Hughes in the original Boys from the Blackstuff and many films including Titanic RIP
Gutted with that, fantastic actor. Was amazed to find out how short he was after how he portrayed Yozza Hughes.

Hugely underrated for his role in LotR and heartbreakingly good in that little drama he did with Steve Coogan 'Sunshine'

Where's me steak?

Although he didn't have a big part in Shirley Valentine I think it showed an example of how he was a brilliant character actor. It would have been all too easy to dismiss him as a 2d nasty man and therefore not care about that side of the story.

When I watch it I can't help but empathise with his situation, he was underneath a good man who had forgotten himself under the grind of life. That's despite the script that consistently makes him deliver words that would under normal circumstances make you dislike that character further, but the tone and facial expressions give a picture of a man coming to terms with his own failings as a person and a husband.

I struggle to think of an actor who could play that 'everyman' role as well and take us on that journey of emotions and that's why he was also perfect as Yosser too.

RIP Bernard.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back