• 👍

Votes: 585 67.9%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 240 27.9%
  • 👎

Votes: 36 4.2%

• Total voters
We definitely don't refer to ourselves as "yanks"

That said, if someone called me that, even in a somewhat derogatory fashion, it'd never cross my mind that it might be "xenophobic."
Yeah I don’t think many round here in Califrornia would be particularly offended if I used it, more confused really!

Might be different in some of the Southern states though.

Anyhow Friedkin - they sound like a tasty Southern dish tbh.

Yeah I don’t think many round here in Califrornia would be particularly offended if I used it, more confused really!

Yeah - as a southerner we'll occasionally refer to someone derogatorily as a "yankee" but it's not particularly vicious and not too common anymore. More often, someone will just say "northern" in derogatory fashion (ex. - my wife will occasionally refer to someone who is uptight/unfriendly as "they just seem very northern."). I'm sure northerners will occasionally note regional differences about us in similar fashion.

To be fair ive used Yank a lot and I never realised it was considered an insult.

In most contexts I still dont use it as an insult, but the context it was used in, it was defo an insult.

TOUCHDOWN Friedkin.

Can someone take the time and effort to explain the state of play? Are they buying us or is it just rumours?

Thanks, I CBA reading through this thread or doing my own research x

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back