Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Friedkin Group reaches agreement to buy Everton

What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 772 71.8%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 264 24.6%
  • 👎

Votes: 39 3.6%

• Total voters
They were worse! And neither of them had the benefit of the uplift that is going to be realised from our new stadium.

I honestly don’t know why this Charlie Bucket mentality that you are espousing is so prevalent amongst Evertonians? The desire to maintain an inferiority complex is strong, even when making comparisons to the likes of Newcastle and Villa.

They’re two clear recent examples of how a change in management can bring about drastic change within a short time period. But Villa and Newcastle are both juggernauts, so whilst it was possible for them, it definitely won’t be possible for Everton according to some blues.
It's certainly possible to do what both Villa and Newcastle have done and get CL football.

Newcastle seem a better bet than Villa to make an impact in the longer term assuming the wealth behind them is made to count eventually.

For Villa a lot hedges on keeping the current set-up they have. If they lost Emery, they could as easily return to a firmly bottom half club.

I'd certainly love even one season that saw us get into the Champions League.

For me though the question is what level of improvement is sustainable. With a Super League in the background but nowhere near imminent,
where will we be if the time comes when that momentum is unstoppable?

In a separate post I wrote that we have to look to regain and cement a place as one of the top 8-10 teams.

Spurs were the example I used. They've won nothing and don't look near to winning anything but they say they have transformed as a business ensures their place as a big six club. A dreadful season for them probably means they are seventh at worst.

It may not sound exciting but I wouldn't mind muscling in on that territory. And I don't think despite everything that we are as "Spursy" as Spurs as one of their fans called it last week.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back