The 'gallant' in defeat attitude - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking this for a while, a few years in fact, with it evident again post match last night. We are in a shocking run of form and lost again last night albeit with a slightly improved performance and all of a sudden, there's shouts of 'renewed hope', 'superb performance' (one notable fan account on Twitter), 'the lads put a good shift in'. Am I missing something? Granted, the performance was slightly improved from Tuesday but let's be realistic, it was still very poor in a lot of parts and United operated in 2nd gear in the second half especially. This has been a theme which has gone on for years - awful runs of form followed by one decent result (or even performance in a defeat? and that one result seems to make everything okay again. Knocked out the cup then get a half decent result the following week and again, everything rosy again.
It's deflating being a Blue!
Brilliant thread mate. Thank god at least one fan gets it. We lost 3 - 1 and yet this is the catalyst for lots of hope ? The positive reaction from so many Evertonians to conceding 3 goals against a team in 2nd gear is just plain weird. Look in the mirror and repeat after me 'We are Everton, NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM',. Repeat and repeat again until you have emptied your flippant minds of any more ridiculous thoughts that there is somehow light at the end of the tunnel. Jeez.

It's a bit weird as the club seemed to have put out that he was getting Utd to save his job. We lost, we scored a very lucky equalizer, and then we had more daft defending and conceded another two. Yeah we had a bit of a go for it, but if we're being honest it was mostly Demarai Gray running it on his own and refusing to pass until the last 20 minutes.

Is that performance enough to turn around the board's mind? Should it be? Not for me.

Said this for years. Needs a big boycott. Won't happen though as you'll be told to "get behind the lads" by sitting in silence, booing and shouting "sh1te everton" every 2 mins.
Is that what you do at the games? Assuming you do go of course. You wouldn't last 10 minutes if you behaved like that.

I didn't say anyone had said everything is rosy again - I meant that is the vibe that has been around over the course of a number of years when we put in a better performance or get a better result on the back of weeks of rubbish. Everything else I have alluded to, as referenced in the original post, is stuff I've seen from some fans today on Social Media and from the reaction of some sat around me last night. I'm not actually having a pop at anyone who wants to be more positive, just find it unrealistic personally.
Fair enough mate. I'm sick at how far we've fallen. And there is a tendancy to clutch at straws like a drowning man. But I think it's just that. The Brighton game and so many other performances over the years have felt like we were drowning. The performance at OT (and other similar improvements) was akin to finding a life raft. It's no guarantee we'll make it to land but it feels like there's more chance.

Apologies for the cliched mtaphors and similies. Just think it's the best way for me to sum up what I feel is a natural tendancy.

Is that what you do at the games? Assuming you do go of course. You wouldn't last 10 minutes if you behaved like that.
Why wouldn’t he? Most of the people round me in the street end are like this, and to be honest, who can blame them? Absolutely massive chore going to watch them. A load of millionaires half arsing their job doesn’t get much else.

I've been thinking this for a while, a few years in fact, with it evident again post match last night. We are in a shocking run of form and lost again last night albeit with a slightly improved performance and all of a sudden, there's shouts of 'renewed hope', 'superb performance' (one notable fan account on Twitter), 'the lads put a good shift in'. Am I missing something? Granted, the performance was slightly improved from Tuesday but let's be realistic, it was still very poor in a lot of parts and United operated in 2nd gear in the second half especially. This has been a theme which has gone on for years - awful runs of form followed by one decent result (or even performance in a defeat? and that one result seems to make everything okay again. Knocked out the cup then get a half decent result the following week and again, everything rosy again.
It's deflating being a Blue!
'Good Times' Kenwright brainwashed people into believing being a plucky underdog was our level

Why wouldn’t he? Most of the people round me in the street end are like this, and to be honest, who can blame them? Absolutely massive chore going to watch them. A load of millionaires half arsing their job doesn’t get much else.
Most of the people around you in the Street end are like that? Who are you kidding? Anyway I don't believe Kirkdale goes to the games. Or if he does and behaves like that he must be 6ft 10 and built like a brick s.. house. Likewise the other goon calling for "a massive boycott". He never replied when I suggested he never goes himself.

Most of the people around you in the Street end are like that? Who are you kidding? Anyway I don't believe Kirkdale goes to the games. Or if he does and behaves like that he must be 6ft 10 and built like a brick s.. house. Likewise the other goon calling for "a massive boycott". He never replied when I suggested he never goes himself.
Not kidding anyone mate, nobody I sit around is happy and gets behind the team. Most have had season tickets for years though and have just completely had enough… maybe I just sit in the arl arse section with the Everton Da’s.

I can believe this, I witnessed in in the Park End too when I was unfortunate enough to sit there

Status
Not open for further replies.