The GOT Book Club

20664717_1966237356923486_2107980639464710917_n.jpg

these arrived today. A huge gap in my Stephen King reading, who has been my favourite author for a long time.

Thanks for that, there's a few on there I haven't heard of.

I shall investigate further ;)

these arrived today. A huge gap in my Stephen King reading, who has been my favourite author for a long time.
I spent 22 yrs waiting as the books came out 1 at a time...no spoilers but King kept on putting off finishing it for various reasons, but when he got knocked over by a drunk driver while out walking, he decided he'd better crack on with it.
The man never wrote a bum story in his life.

The Film is out soon...got no problem with Idris Elba, he can do angst and torment with the best...but it is up there with tom cruise and a 6ft 5in bald Jack Reacher...just sayin like.

Try NOS-4R2 by Joe Hill, you'll like it.

I spent 22 yrs waiting as the books came out 1 at a time...no spoilers but King kept on putting off finishing it for various reasons, but when he got knocked over by a drunk driver while out walking, he decided he'd better crack on with it.
The man never wrote a bum story in his life.

The Film is out soon...got no problem with Idris Elba, he can do angst and torment with the best...but it is up there with tom cruise and a 6ft 5in bald Jack Reacher...just sayin like.

Try NOS-4R2 by Joe Hill, you'll like it.

I honestly think we're better off skipping this film. Look at all the reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I honestly think we're better off skipping this film. Look at all the reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I suspected as much.
Sometimes King does a Hitchcock and has a minor part in the films...there was one ages ago with a graveyard (shrugs) the police came and King was the caretaker or something...his line was - 'I had nothing to do with this, I had nothing to do with this'...I think he was trying to tell us something

I think you and @COYBL25 will really enjoy them.

I think they cover (unsurprisingly, with that amount of writing) some of the best and worst of King.

Without any spoilers, on the positive side very memorable fantasy world creation (which is normally not really my thing) and, on the negative, using certain irritating protaganists and disappearing (at points) up his self-referential bottom.

(Although if I had been a hard-core drug addict and nearly killed by a car and still managed to crank out best-sellers, I'd feel entitled to be as self-referential as I wanted...)

That's quite a task! I definitely enjoy a good Stephen King novel, the last one I read was 11/22/63, which was a lot of fun--he basically makes unbelievable premises extremely digestable and down-to-earth (such as a diner where one can travel back to 1958!). I haven't read any of those however. I tend to like more of the horror stuff, (though 11/22/63, wasn't that) rather than fantasy stuff...those titles appear to be on the fantasy end, yes?
Yes I think so. If you haven't already, try From A Buick 8- not one of his more well known books and quite short but I was enthralled by it. Also Dr Sleep, the follow up to The Shining is well worth a read.

Yes I think so. If you haven't already, try From A Buick 8- not one of his more well known books and quite short but I was enthralled by it. Also Dr Sleep, the follow up to The Shining is well worth a read.
Incidentally, one of my favourite lesser-known King books, Hearts in Atlantis, also has strong connections to the Dark Tower books you are about to read.

Just finished The Long War, second book in The Long Earth series. The first book was carried by the idea, this book didn't have that and unfortunately the characters are a little dull so can't really carry the book imo.

It also has the problem that a lot of tv series/books have of introducing other sapient beings.

Even if they have a completely different culture that has existed for thousands of years upon meeting humans at least a few of them will decide that humans have it right and help them out!

I've recently read The Sympathizer from Viet Thanh Nguyen. Very good work. It's about a mole and the end of the Vietnam War; starts with the fall of Saigon. It isn't a pure war novel. It's about questions of identity, immigrants, spy - mystery, politics. It's a dark comical work with loads of irony. Made me laugh quite a bit.

Wouldn't read it if you're a bit squeamish because some scenes in there are @Bungle like (like the squid molestation scene).

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back