The GOT Book Club

Thanks for the recommendations.:)
Also, and I hesitated to include it for reasons below, you might try Son of Heaven by David Wingrove.

David Wingrove is a sci-fi writer and he originally wrote an eight-book series called the Chung Kuo novels, which have an element of dystopia, world-building and sci-fi in them. Essentially, in the future, China provokes an economic crisis which sends society into free-fall and uses the instability to start to take over the world. The books are about the society that emerges and various tensions within it. The first seven, I thought, were stunningly good. Then, apparently, the publisher wanted to wind up the series and he released the eighth book, which was rushed and for most fans of the series an epic disappointment given what had gone before.

A few years later, the books were picked up again by another publisher and had a couple of prequels added (Son of Heaven is the first of the prequels) with the promise by the author that the series would be 'finished' properly this time. The publisher dropped the series half-way through and the new final novels were never published.

Now Wingrove is self-publishing the books and is up to 8 out of 20 already published, with four more expected by the end of the year. If any of that sounds interesting to you, pick up Son of Heaven, which can be read as a novel alone and see if it is something that you would want to continue with.

Added: the 'new' published books, if you are looking on something like Amazon, are the ones with the simple covers with a circular dragon eating its tail in various background colours.

Also, and I hesitated to include it for reasons below, you might try Son of Heaven by David Wingrove.

David Wingrove is a sci-fi writer and he originally wrote an eight-book series called the Chung Kuo novels, which have an element of dystopia, world-building and sci-fi in them. Essentially, in the future, China provokes an economic crisis which sends society into free-fall and uses the instability to start to take over the world. The books are about the society that emerges and various tensions within it. The first seven, I thought, were stunningly good. Then, apparently, the publisher wanted to wind up the series and he released the eighth book, which was rushed and for most fans of the series an epic disappointment given what had gone before.

A few years later, the books were picked up again by another publisher and had a couple of prequels added (Son of Heaven is the first of the prequels) with the promise by the author that the series would be 'finished' properly this time. The publisher dropped the series half-way through and the new final novels were never published.

Now Wingrove is self-publishing the books and is up to 8 out of 20 already published, with four more expected by the end of the year. If any of that sounds interesting to you, pick up Son of Heaven, which can be read as a novel alone and see if it is something that you would want to continue with.

Added: the 'new' published books, if you are looking on something like Amazon, are the ones with the simple covers with a circular dragon eating its tail in various background colours.
I'm a bit antediluvian and buy books from bookshops. Will peruse the shelves this afternoon and see if Son of Heaven is there. Cheers.

I'm a bit antediluvian and buy books from bookshops. Will peruse the shelves this afternoon and see if Son of Heaven is there. Cheers.

I'm with you in this.

Book shops are wonderful things and it's a shame that so many have gone, due to the likes of Amazon.

Great places to spend a few hours in, especially the ones that have coffee shops in too.

Fair enough - the newer books, if you want to keep them all the same, are published by Fragile Books, not Corvus or Hodder.

(I still like 'real books' but space constraints mean that I tend to limit them to ones I want to keep, if that makes sense.)

Fair enough - the newer books, if you want to keep them all the same, are published by Fragile Books, not Corvus or Hodder.

(I still like 'real books' but space constraints mean that I tend to limit them to ones I want to keep, if that makes sense.)
I read 4 or 5 of the original series in the 90s. Started great but I must have hit a weak book as I lost interest and didn't keep going with it.

Think it is next to impossible to sustain a tight story arc over such a huge number of pages for any author, so these big series always hit a few low spots. It is literally impossible if the publisher is pulling the rug from under you as happened with Wingrove.

I read 4 or 5 of the original series in the 90s. Started great but I must have hit a weak book as I lost interest and didn't keep going with it.

Think it is next to impossible to sustain a tight story arc over such a huge number of pages for any author, so these big series always hit a few low spots. It is literally impossible if the publisher is pulling the rug from under you as happened with Wingrove.
Yes, just came across an article today by his wife (who writes for Coronation Street) talking about what they'd been through:
http://www.bookbrunch.co.uk/page/free-article/a-new-chapter-for-chung-kuo/

Also - The Passage by Justin Cronin is an incredibly good book too. ( post apocalyptic )

That's a great book - Bloody massive though!

It's a whopping 1300 pages.

Couldnt put it down and managed to read it in a week, which took some doing ;)

Sure I've discussed these books on here with you before, I've actually got round to starting the 3rd (e-)book at last. I actually picked up the first one from one of those pub/hostel libraries where you can swap your old books :)

Sure I've discussed these books on here with you before, I've actually got round to starting the 3rd (e-)book at last. I actually picked up the first one from one of those pub/hostel libraries where you can swap your old books :)

Lol.

You have, as I've flown the flag for it for quite a while.

I've got the third ready to go, but I've decided to read them all back to back, as it's took so long for the third to come out.

Lol.

You have, as I've flown the flag for it for quite a while.

I've got the third ready to go, but I've decided to read them all back to back, as it's took so long for the third to come out.

Ah yes, sounds familiar. If I did that the fifth would be out by the time I finished!! :o

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back