The GOT Book Club

View attachment 38345
Been working through a load of books I've been meaning to read for ages and this is one of them.

Wouldn't normally post on a novel like this, but it's a very good book.

Story of an English historians search in post war Russia for Stalins diary.

Very well written and dark as anything.
He's a very good writer with an eye for the mysterious. I'm not so keen on the Roman stuff though. Pompeii was faintly ridiculous in fact. All that rushing about in tunics and sandals.

image.webp

Just finished this - book 3 of 4 in the series of the post apocalyptic Scattered and the Dead books.

Not as good as the first two, but you have to read to move on from books 1 and 2 and onto book 4.

51XFoSG7oKL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Am halfway through this, fascinating, very well-written and researched

Think I mentioned The Circle by Dave Eggers on here before - sort of a proto-Orwellian dystopia. The first steps down the road of google and facebook starting to not give a [Poor language removed] about government regulation and realising they can really start to run the show. Good read.

There was a film made this year of it with a decent cast, not seen it but it got smashed by the critics and is apparently pretty poor.

The Road by McCarthy is heavy on the dystopia and is as superb as you'd expect.

On the lookout for new dystopian novels, any recommendations ?

As @Black Belt Jones says - the Road by Cormac McCarthy is a good un.

Also - The Passage by Justin Cronin is an incredibly good book too. ( post apocalyptic )

It's sounds rubbish - global pandemic turns most of the human race into vampire like creatures, but he's a professor of English at a red brick uni, so it's very well written and a truly great book.

On the lookout for new dystopian novels, any recommendations ?
You could try the Hugh Howey trilogy:
Wool
Shift
Dust

Difficult to give anything other than a basic idea of the topic without spoilers, but essentially how survivors' life has developed after a cataclysm has hit the earth.

Haven't read it but South by Frank Owen looks interesting.

Not sure if they could be classed as true dystopian but also the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer might be worth a look.

Reading The French Connection II which turns out to be a rehash of the screenplay of that film which starred Gene Hackman. The film just about worked - thanks to Mr Hackman - but the book is pretty dire.

Next up is Conclave by Robert Harris - an author already mentioned on these boards. It's going cheap in a lot of the bargain book stores so I'm not hopeful. Anyone read it?

As @Black Belt Jones says - the Road by Cormac McCarthy is a good un.

Also - The Passage by Justin Cronin is an incredibly good book too. ( post apocalyptic )

It's sounds rubbish - global pandemic turns most of the human race into vampire like creatures, but he's a professor of English at a red brick uni, so it's very well written and a truly great book.

That's a great book - Bloody massive though!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back