The GOT Book Club

Cheers, I have read a couple of his - think the main guy was called Logan and his boss was a lesbian. I'd forgotten about him. Will seek some out.

Det Insp Logan Macrae.

The other books ( two ) are about Det Ash Henderson ( disgraced former Det Insp )

The Ash Henderson books are off the scale dark and are crying out to be made into a film.

I've just finished the Shattered Sea trilogy, my first books by Abercrombie. I don't know about bossing the genre but I'd completely agree with the rest. Brilliant characterisation and dialogue but plot - at times really predictable or lacking imagination. Having said that, enjoyed the books and would read more by him.
Just finished 'Best served cold' - really strong again. I've got red country on the shelf but I'm going to leave it for a bit, need a break from all the stabbings and murder!

Just seen that Denis Johnson passed away last month :(

Hands down one of the best writers I've ever read in the shorter form - e.g. Jesus's son, Angels. Often compared with Cormac McCarthy - Now CM is the Don as we all know but he's never written anything as perfect as those two (seriously). Longer books, though, and Johnson was a bit ragged. He was a poet at heart, and struggled a bit with the conventional structure you need to make bigger novels work. Tree of Smoke is a good example - winning the national book award and some deserved mainstream recognition, some exceptional sequences but a bit jumbled.

All around them men drank alone, staring out of their faces.

RIP Denis.

Dunstan by Conn Iggulden, which is a retelling of the life of St Dunstan written in first person through his own eyes. It's a great read and another brilliant book by Iggulden who is criminally underrated as an author. The only fault I found really grating was Iggden's use of the word "Dad" early on when Dunstan is talking about his Father, it just felt so horribly out of place and it's not the first time the author has made this poor choice in his books. Still an excellent book all the same, 8/10.

Mostyn Thomas and the Big Rave, by Richard Williams. Mostyn Thomas and the Big Rave pits a struggling Welsh farming community against the unstoppable rave movement of the early 1990s. A throwback to my early years and a jolly Summer read - flows along agreeably with some dark and twisty bits in the plot.
Amazon product ASIN B073576XN5
Click and buy through the GOT Amazon link on the home page obvs

If you like dark crime books, in a simlar style to Scandinavian noir, I highly recommend the books of the Scottish author :

Stuart Macbride

Have a look at his books.

He writes about two bent Scottish detectives in a fictional city ( Aberdeen really ).

They are as good as the books of Jo Nesbo and super dark.
Ta. Will try him
Just put his first 3 on order from my digital library

Haven't read a book for ages, I read all day in work so have got out of the habit Any suggestions for me so I can get back into it? Don't mind what genre but particularly fond of Stephen King type stuff and crime thrillers.
Stephen King recommendations:
Peter Straub (obviously, since he has done a couple of collaborations with him)
Neil Gaiman (Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, American Gods)

Crime recommendations:
Dennis Lehane (could try the start of the Kenzie & Gennaro books - A Drink Before the War)
Don Winslow (The Power of the Dog, for example)
George V. Higgins (elegantly-written Boston underworld crime with plot mostly revealed through dialogue)
James Sallis (John Turner trilogy, for example, starting with Cypress Grove)
Daniel Woodrell (the Bayou trilogy, for example)
James Carlos Blake (for example, The Rules of Wolfe)

All of the above crime novelists are American and the last three (and possibly Winslow) are what I would call modern American noir.

Stephen King recommendations:
Peter Straub (obviously, since he has done a couple of collaborations with him)
Neil Gaiman (Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, American Gods)

Crime recommendations:
Dennis Lehane (could try the start of the Kenzie & Gennaro books - A Drink Before the War)
Don Winslow (The Power of the Dog, for example)
George V. Higgins (elegantly-written Boston underworld crime with plot mostly revealed through dialogue)
James Sallis (John Turner trilogy, for example, starting with Cypress Grove)
Daniel Woodrell (the Bayou trilogy, for example)
James Carlos Blake (for example, The Rules of Wolfe)

All of the above crime novelists are American and the last three (and possibly Winslow) are what I would call modern American noir.
Cheers, I shall definitely look into some of them x

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back