The GOT Book Club

Just finished reading: The Traitors by Josh Ireland which covers the war time Treachery of Willliam Joyce, John Anery, Harold Cole and Eric Pleasants who all for verying reasons sided with the Nazis in WW2. Considering it's the authors first book I found this very engaging, I alredy knew the tale being told by Ireland having read numerous books on the subject but this was a great retelling all the same. Thoroughly recommend to anyone interested in history.

image.webp

Wouldn't normally bother posting on a Rebus book, but this is seriously good if you like detective novels.

Rebus is retired and working as a civilian on cold cases, when he stumbles across a load of missing persons,all linked to one particular road leading into the highlands from Edinburgh and puts them together them as the work of a serial killer.

What's so good about it, is that it takes him out of Edinburgh and his comfort zone.

Excellent book.

Just finished "The North Water". Spectacular novel about a whaling ship. Incredibly violent without being gratuitous. Has hints of Cormac McCarthy and "Endurance" by Shackelton (though on an opposite pole). Good stuff.

Now starting "My favorite thing is Monsters", which is--so far--amazing. I've never read a graphic novel, but this one is excellent. Caveat: Part of the reason I like it is that it is set in Chicago, and I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and consider Chicago my hometown (my parents were through-and-through Chicagoans, and we pretty much went to the city every weekend, since my mom hated living in the suburbs).

Also making my way through "The Mixer", which is interesting since I can youtube many of the plays/goals that the book is talking about, given it is a history of the Premier League.

Just finished "The North Water". Spectacular novel about a whaling ship. Incredibly violent without being gratuitous. Has hints of Cormac McCarthy and "Endurance" by Shackelton (though on an opposite pole). Good stuff.

Now starting "My favorite thing is Monsters", which is--so far--amazing. I've never read a graphic novel, but this one is excellent. Caveat: Part of the reason I like it is that it is set in Chicago, and I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and consider Chicago my hometown (my parents were through-and-through Chicagoans, and we pretty much went to the city every weekend, since my mom hated living in the suburbs).

Also making my way through "The Mixer", which is interesting since I can youtube many of the plays/goals that the book is talking about, given it is a history of the Premier League.

Like the sound of North Water.

On my list ;)

20664717_1966237356923486_2107980639464710917_n.jpg

these arrived today. A huge gap in my Stephen King reading, who has been my favourite author for a long time.

20664717_1966237356923486_2107980639464710917_n.jpg

these arrived today. A huge gap in my Stephen King reading, who has been my favourite author for a long time.

That's quite a task! I definitely enjoy a good Stephen King novel, the last one I read was 11/22/63, which was a lot of fun--he basically makes unbelievable premises extremely digestable and down-to-earth (such as a diner where one can travel back to 1958!). I haven't read any of those however. I tend to like more of the horror stuff, (though 11/22/63, wasn't that) rather than fantasy stuff...those titles appear to be on the fantasy end, yes?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back