The Oldies Thread

….don’t think they have ‘Nitty Nora’ these days. I remember having head lice as a kid;

View attachment 228933
Monday morning ritual in our infants school was a line up which the parish priest walked down the row insisting on checking we had a hankie, looked for clean fingernails and asked 'did you go to mass on Sunday'. I hve no idea what the cost of failure was as no-one ever did.

I remember a TV program were a team mate of certain players put forward the case for two players and then somebody voted on which of them was the better player. The one that stands out in my memory was Kevin Keegan v George Best, I can’t remember who spoke on behalf of Keegan but Pat Jennings spoke on behalf of Best. They showed various clips of each player and things they had done. There was a clip of when Best played against Jennings and Best sold Jennings a dummy and then clipped the ball over him. Jennings said he didn’t know what it was Best had done to make him go down but whatever it was he was completely sold. The reason I remember the program was that they voted to say Kevin Keegan was a better player than George Best.

I remember a TV program were a team mate of certain players put forward the case for two players and then somebody voted on which of them was the better player. The one that stands out in my memory was Kevin Keegan v George Best, I can’t remember who spoke on behalf of Keegan but Pat Jennings spoke on behalf of Best. They showed various clips of each player and things they had done. There was a clip of when Best played against Jennings and Best sold Jennings a dummy and then clipped the ball over him. Jennings said he didn’t know what it was Best had done to make him go down but whatever it was he was completely sold. The reason I remember the program was that they voted to say Kevin Keegan was a better player than George Best.

Personally, I think George Best was the better individual player with his skills etc. but Kevin Keegan was the better team player.

Personally, I think George Best was the better individual player with his skills etc. but Kevin Keegan was the better team player.
I suppose I'd agree although Best did a power of tackling back, certainly in his younger days.
It's easy to forget what a sensation he was at the time. He was like the fifth Beatle. My Edwardian father was forced to admit the boy was "pretty impressive" as GB made fools of various hatchet men like Chopper Harris.

Cels, with the greatest respect to you I disagree but then I think The Belfast Boy was the best footballer of all time. Of all the stories about Best the one that comes to mind is when a reporter asked him if he was the best player in the world and he said that he had seen an interview with Pele were he was asked the same question and he answered that George Best was the best player in the world and with a cheeky grin he said “who am I to argue with Pele”.

Cels, with the greatest respect to you I disagree but then I think The Belfast Boy was the best footballer of all time. Of all the stories about Best the one that comes to mind is when a reporter asked him if he was the best player in the world and he said that he had seen an interview with Pele were he was asked the same question and he answered that George Best was the best player in the world and with a cheeky grin he said “who am I to argue with Pele”.

They were all a different sort of player. But when it came to natural or even unnatural skill no one came close to George Best, one of the hardest and skilful players the world will ever see…..

I went with a mate who’s a Chelsea fan to see United v Chelsea , late 60 ‘s . We were right behind Best when he tackled Eddie McCready in the right back position, got the ball and calmly lobbed Bonetti the Chelsea keeper from the edge of the box. It was amazing and it seemed to take a “ S” shaped route , up , over, down . It was on the starting scenes of MOTD for a few years. A brilliant player .

i remember as a young 12 year old when Utd came to Goodson that every time Best received the ball the crowd seem to to very quiet, it seemed they were anticipating what this genius was about to do. Best, no pun intended, player I have ever seen live.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back