The Oldies Thread

I remember a TV program were a team mate of certain players put forward the case for two players and then somebody voted on which of them was the better player. The one that stands out in my memory was Kevin Keegan v George Best, I can’t remember who spoke on behalf of Keegan but Pat Jennings spoke on behalf of Best. They showed various clips of each player and things they had done. There was a clip of when Best played against Jennings and Best sold Jennings a dummy and then clipped the ball over him. Jennings said he didn’t know what it was Best had done to make him go down but whatever it was he was completely sold. The reason I remember the program was that they voted to say Kevin Keegan was a better player than George Best.
I remember that program.
probably an early rs puff piece / fap fest.
iirc, the reason Keegan got the nod was 'some' skill but loads of application and achievement over pure skill some achievement and not too much application

Cels, with the greatest respect to you I disagree but then I think The Belfast Boy was the best footballer of all time. Of all the stories about Best the one that comes to mind is when a reporter asked him if he was the best player in the world and he said that he had seen an interview with Pele were he was asked the same question and he answered that George Best was the best player in the world and with a cheeky grin he said “who am I to argue with Pele”.

I did say that I thought that George Best was the better (more skilful) individual player, but I still believe that Kevin Keegan was a better team player. Bobby Charlton (and I understand the bad blood between the two) said of George Best: “I just don’t understand him. What do you come into football for? It’s your duty to give your best to the people who come to support you, but he didn’t seem to see this”.

Personally, if I wanted someone by my side who I could rely on and had a top work ethic etc., then I would go with Keegan not Best. When it comes to skill though, I could watch George Best all day long.

I see you mentioned Pele, but remember Pele also said:
  • Lionel Messi only has one skill.​
  • Neymar is an ordinary player but he's better than Messi and Ronaldo.​
  • Ghanaian Nii Lamptey would be his (Pele) natural successor.​
  • Barmby would be a world-class player up there with the likes of Zidane and Maldini.​
  • An African nation would win the World Cup before the year 2000.​

I did say that I thought that George Best was the better (more skilful) individual player, but I still believe that Kevin Keegan was a better team player. Bobby Charlton (and I understand the bad blood between the two) said of George Best: “I just don’t understand him. What do you come into football for? It’s your duty to give your best to the people who come to support you, but he didn’t seem to see this”.

Personally, if I wanted someone by my side who I could rely on and had a top work ethic etc., then I would go with Keegan not Best. When it comes to skill though, I could watch George Best all day long.

I see you mentioned Pele, but remember Pele also said:
  • Lionel Messi only has one skill.​
  • Neymar is an ordinary player but he's better than Messi and Ronaldo.​
  • Ghanaian Nii Lamptey would be his (Pele) natural successor.​
  • Barmby would be a world-class player up there with the likes of Zidane and Maldini.​
  • An African nation would win the World Cup before the year 2000.​
TBF George Best in his pomp I saw at Goodison once in an average United side - We were a great team,but it took 5 Everton players to control him - he had everything rumoured once if he was going to leave United in his pomp he wanted to join us - then the drinking took over ..

I went with a mate who’s a Chelsea fan to see United v Chelsea , late 60 ‘s . We were right behind Best when he tackled Eddie McCready in the right back position, got the ball and calmly lobbed Bonetti the Chelsea keeper from the edge of the box. It was amazing and it seemed to take a “ S” shaped route , up , over, down . It was on the starting scenes of MOTD for a few years. A brilliant player .
No.1

I remember that program.
probably an early rs puff piece / fap fest.
iirc, the reason Keegan got the nod was 'some' skill but loads of application and achievement over pure skill some achievement and not too much application
Talking about TV - I am avid fan of the Footage Detectives on Talking Pichues every Sunday 5pm taped for the hour - fetches ba kgreat memories for all of us oldies ;)

TBF George Best in his pomp I saw at Goodison once in an average United side - We were a great team,but it took 5 Everton players to control him - he had everything rumoured once if he was going to leave United in his pomp he wanted to join us - then the drinking took over ..
My arl Man, said he was the best player h had seen, in the British game, then Bally, and the White Pele.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back