Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

The Sam Allardyce fanboy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have had an inkling that Big Sam was dodgy. Why set it up otherwise? I can't see them wasting their time with somebody who was squeaky clean and wasn't going to give them a story.

What I genuinely don't understand is that Sam Allardyce has been round the block a few times, he's no wet behind the ears kid. I can't believe he didn't smell a rat and at what point in the thought process did he think it was a good idea. Although am I being incredibly stupid in thinking that intelligence and being a football manager go together?
the impression i got from his words yesterday was that he was doing someone a favour and therefore had his guard down a little bit in that regard. Probably explains things like him saying he would need to check with the FA first, he would have been a tad bit cautious but thought he was helping someone out.

Plus from everything said so far i get the impression it isnt what he has gone in this meeting that caused all this, but what he insinuated he could do. The FA let him go to save face because in the meeting he didn't do anything wrong as such but what he talked about would be hanging around him anyway and they didn't want that. He obviously had done it before hence why they fired him in so many words, but in the meeting itself, not as much guilty there.

Have I missed something. Serious question.

Thought all he'd done re 3rd party ownership was admit to buying Valencia who is now fully owned by WHU. We were looking to buy that Algerian lad from Porto under similar circumstances.

He actually also said you can't get a percentage of the players transfer fee anymore but the way to get round that is to own the agent and get their fee instead (and no doubt negotiate an unusually large agents fee). Very dubious I agree but not sure what he's done is illegal. There may be other evidence I haven't read about which, if so, sue the bugger.

At the end of the day he's a horrible man and a crap manager and the game is better off without him
I can't find it right now but the Telegraph article about the agent Mark Curtis states that he asked for 5% of the players wages when they signed a new deal,Kevin Kilbane told him to do one.

They must have had an inkling that Big Sam was dodgy. Why set it up otherwise? I can't see them wasting their time with somebody who was squeaky clean and wasn't going to give them a story.

What I genuinely don't understand is that Sam Allardyce has been round the block a few times, he's no wet behind the ears kid. I can't believe he didn't smell a rat and at what point in the thought process did he think it was a good idea. Although am I being incredibly stupid in thinking that intelligence and being a football manager go together?

You're being incredibly stupid x

Yes I think they knew Allardyce was morally questionable. I think they knew loads of managers, agents, and players were. It was literally a case of working through a list trying to stitch them up on camera etc.

I think Allardyce just got a bit excited as he must have been on Cloud 9 being the new England manager and all the VIP importance that comes with it. The arrogance was what got me. I think like you say he'd of smelled a rat, except this sort of thing is so rife, he thought that as long as he was 50% in the clear regarding the "job offer" then the likelihood of him being told off was minimal as it's going on everywhere all over the world.

What he probably didn't realise and underestimated was the size of the undercover sting, peoples judge jury and executioner approaches on social media and in the news, and that fact that he can't go "oh but..x and y and z are all doing it too..!".

There cannot be many squeaky clean people in football. They'd be at a massive disadvantage.

Yes I think they knew Allardyce was morally questionable. I think they knew loads of managers, agents, and players were. It was literally a case of working through a list trying to stitch them up on camera etc.

I think Allardyce just got a bit excited as he must have been on Cloud 9 being the new England manager and all the VIP importance that comes with it. The arrogance was what got me. I think like you say he'd of smelled a rat, except this sort of thing is so rife, he thought that as long as he was 50% in the clear regarding the "job offer" then the likelihood of him being told off was minimal as it's going on everywhere all over the world.

What he probably didn't realise and underestimated was the size of the undercover sting, peoples judge jury and executioner approaches on social media and in the news, and that fact that he can't go "oh but..x and y and z are all doing it too..!".

There cannot be many squeaky clean people in football. They'd be at a massive disadvantage.
Roy Hodgson was a decent, honourable man. Didn't get us far unfortunately.

It's not clear to me this is all about. Could someone create a hypothetical scenario, using fake names, obviously, so that I
can understand what Allardyce and others have actually done. What's the process?

I can't find it right now but the Telegraph article about the agent Mark Curtis states that he asked for 5% of the players wages when they signed a new deal,Kevin Kilbane told him to do one.
Yeah he did it last year too, I'll try and remember the article and player.

I am still unclear as to what he's actually done wrong. Seems like he's been sacked for insulting his employer. Which I suppose could be a sackable offence.
Generally circumnavigating third party ownership.

the FA would prefer you do it the legitimate way and pay 2 transfer fees, one to club, one to other owner.
Basically nothing illegal.

Just not the most morally upright thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back