The Summer Transfer Window Deadline Day - Friday 31st August 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think we must credit Moyes. For a few years he has kept together his carefully built squad, but in January seemed to realise that to take steps forward then we first need to take some risks, so Bily, Saha, Cahill and Rodwell have been scarficed for Jelavic, Pienaar, Gibson, Miralles, Naismith, and the 3 lads last night. On the face of it, some excellent business.

No they haven't. We've defo earned more from outs than we've spent on ins.

It just doesn't feel that way cos Moyes has done a cracking job.

If we keep making money but still have windows like this one then the sums don't matter anyway. When you look at the quality now you wonder how we were ever excited about McFadden, VDM, Drenthe and the like!

I think we must credit Moyes. For a few years he has kept together his carefully built squad, but in January seemed to realise that to take steps forward then we first need to take some risks, so Bily, Saha, Cahill and Rodwell have been scarficed for Jelavic, Pienaar, Gibson, Miralles, Naismith, and the 3 lads last night. On the face of it, some excellent business.

Yep, he's done fantastically well.

Scarficed? Is that supposed to be Scarfaced? Have they been whacked and not sold after all? :P

I hope the decent window hasnt disguised the fact we have a minus net spend again. I'm not a huge Moyes fan, but dont think its quite fair to judge him until he has a window where he is given a reasonable budget to improve the team, without selling.

I hope the decent window hasnt disguised the fact we have a minus net spend again. I'm not a huge Moyes fan, but dont think its quite fair to judge him until he has a window where he is given a reasonable budget to improve the team, without selling.

Until the club attracts substantial financial investment in the form of new owners, or perhaps striking oil when resurfacing the car park, a minus net spend is EXACTLY what we need to see. From a financial perspective, the business in this transfer window and the last has been at least shrewd and very possibly borderline fantastic. Factor in that the incoming players have lowered the average age of the squad, increased overall numbers, provided cover where most needed and are largely being paid the same overall payroll that was saved by the outgoing, more-richly paid players, and i would have to ask what more you could possibly want.

Positive net spends in successive windows, given our limited resources, would bankrupt the club. Anybody prepared to accept that so that Moyes can parade a £23m signing should take a long hard look at Portsmouth. I'll go a step further and say this: If their is another £4m to £6m due to us in add-ons from the sale of Rodwell, I hope half of it goes to the bank to drive down our debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back