Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The under 20 competition that is about to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it could also be the training methods as well.

Without a doubt mate-- let's throw some more money at it so we can compete with the likes of Iraq ffs... ;)

Olarenwaju Kayode and a couple of others looked to have great potential for Nigeria yesterday. He's worth 50k according to Transfermarkt and puts a lot of our million pound players to shame.

Without a doubt mate-- let's throw some more money at it so we can compete with the likes of Iraq ffs... ;)

Olarenwaju Kayode and a couple of others looked to have great potential for Nigeria yesterday. He's worth 50k according to Transfermarkt and puts a lot of our million pound players to shame.

A pretty fair comment, you could do a lot worse than getting the top 2/3 players from contries like Chile. I doubt they would be very expensive at all. Perhaps it would be a work permit issue. I always found that a bit daft, and reflects badly on the immigration issue of this country. Surely if someone is willing to pay a guy 1k a week in wages, that should be enough to make him of sufficient value t the country?

A pretty fair comment, you could do a lot worse than getting the top 2/3 players from contries like Chile. I doubt they would be very expensive at all. Perhaps it would be a work permit issue. I always found that a bit daft, and reflects badly on the immigration issue of this country. Surely if someone is willing to pay a guy 1k a week in wages, that should be enough to make him of sufficient value t the country?

It would be an issue I imagine, I checked out Kayode, and he's been in Switzerland for two years now-whatever that means like :)
Think it's different for a certain age group too, but I would have thought I scouts would target this age group, and get numbers in to fill our squad whilst we catch up to the rest of the world on the development front.

Ripped from the FIFA site:

The final four group matches at the FIFA U-20 World Cup Turkey 2013 begin with not one of the teams involved assured of qualification or consigned to elimination. Everything, therefore, is up for grabs, although the likes of Chile, Iraq, Croatia and Uzbekistan undoubtedly have a great deal more to build on than struggling sides such as Egypt, England and New Zealand.

The Schedule
Sunday 29 June (all local time)
Group E
Iraq-Chile (Antalya, 21.00)
Egypt-England (Bursa, 21.00)

Group F
Uzbekistan-Uruguay (Antalya, 18.00)
Croatia-New Zealand (Bursa, 18.00)

The Absentees
A total of five players will pay the price for having collected yellow cards in each of their opening two matches. Croatia will be without both Ivan Aleksic and Nico Datkovic, while Iraq’s Ali Faez, Daniel Potts of England and Uzbekistan’s Maksimilian Fomin are also due to serve one-match suspensions.

Match of the Day
On the evidence garnered thus far, Chile’s top-of-the-table clash with Iraq should be a veritable feast for the eyes. The Iraqis have been the tournament’s surprise packages, taking first England and then Egypt off guard with their energy, boundless enthusiasm and never-say-die spirit. Indeed, they currently lead Group E on goals scored.

However, an injury picked up by star player Mohanad Abdulraheem against the Pharaohs could threaten his involvement, and any weakness is sure to be exploited by a talented Chile side. The South Americans boast a wealth of offensive options and are sure to pose plenty of problems for the Iraqis with their slick attacking interplay. On offer to the winner is top spot in Group E and the chance to stay put in the coastal city of Antalya for the last 16.

Other Highlights
The heat is very much on in Group E’s other match, with England and Egypt both aware of the consequences should more points be dropped. England are in a stronger position and could yet qualify with a draw, although only a win – something they have not managed in their last 16 FIFA U-20 World Cup encounters – will guarantee their place in the last 16. The Pharaohs, meanwhile, know that anything short of a victory – and likely a resounding one – will see them miss out on one of the best third-place berths.

In Group F, group leaders Uzbekistan face third-place Uruguay in a match that could see one, or both, guarantee their places in the knockout rounds. Croatia, for their part, will be eyeing top spot when they go up against a New Zealand side that, while not officially out of the tournament, will need to cause a one of its biggest-ever sensations to keep their hopes alive.

Player to watch
Ross Barkley lived up to his billing as England’s star player against Chile, thriving in an attacking midfield role and providing constant support to the lone centre-forward, Harry Kane. The Everton youngster’s surging runs are sure to be one of the major dangers to an Egypt defence that has, at times, proved susceptible to players breaking from deep positions.

Edit:

Group E
Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
Iraq 2 1 1 0 4 3 4
Chile 2 1 1 0 3 2 4
Eng. 2 0 2 0 3 3 2
Egy. 2 0 0 2 2 4 0

--so we need to win by >1goal to go through???
:)

Last edited:
No, four of the 3rd place teams go through.. So any win gets us through. Even a draw could do it, but I think that relies on Uruguay losing their final group game.

Luke Garbutt should start with Potts suspended, and hopefully stones will keep his place.

No, four of the 3rd place teams go through.. So any win gets us through. Even a draw could do it, but I think that relies on Uruguay losing their final group game.

Luke Garbutt should start with Potts suspended, and hopefully stones will keep his place.

Cheers!
I'd like to see this as the -Robson game in Mexico where the manager needs to bring Everton players in and the team start performing...yes i'm a dreamer ;)

FIFA site says we just need to win, so that'll be what we need to do. A 2-0 win and the others drawing would be best, finishing top that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back