Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The under 20 competition that is about to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the snippets I saw of our players, I thought they did ok, and Barkley was certainly the best of a poor bunch.

I do wonder though, and it's a question I'll throw out there, how far lack of first team football in the top league affects these players? It's hard to think of any regular players from that squad. Frankly, it's hard to think of any who are even on the fringes of a premier league team, Barkley aside. The picture is pretty similar for the under 21's. I think in the end, a players development from 16-21 requires them to be given game time. Maybe though, in comparison to 20 years ago, these youngstars get too much too soon. I'm not being nasty, but if I was 18, and someone gave me a contract on 2k a week, (in some cases a lot more) the distractions of cars, bars, clubs, women, drink would all have got in the way.

Secondly, the issue of whether our best young players play in these tournaments is up for debate. It sounds like an excuse, but England for example could have had Oxlade chamberlain. the under 21's could have had Jones, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wiltshire etc. How much difference would those players have made?

I saw the second half tonight and it may be showing my Everton bias but I thought the England team tonight needed a player to control the game from central midfield as Carrick does for Utd or Gibson does for Everton. I thought a midfielder who would receive a pass /give a pass might give some shape to the team.It might be the Everton bias but I thought Lundstram could do a good job for England tonight.

Anyone else not see it with Connor Coady? 'The next Gerrard', no chance.

Hate to say it, but I thought he's been okay at the tourney, -ish. Reach was rather poo as well as Kane like.
Thought we were good 1st half, besides finishing. Manager spoilt the second half with sub's and tactics imo.

Garbutt / Stones /Lundstram / Long / Barkley....

Who will be able to make the squad this coming season and who may push for a place the following season?

Garbutt / Stones /Lundstram / Long / Barkley....

Who will be able to make the squad this coming season and who may push for a place the following season?

not sure, depends on sales etc but they'll have a greater chance under Martinez than they did under the Ginger Minge

not sure, depends on sales etc but they'll have a greater chance under Martinez than they did under the Ginger Minge

Garbutt - On loan at Cheltenham wasnt he, was he there stand out player? Does he need a year on loan at a higher level?

Stones -- Touted with great potential at Barnsley. Not used under Moyes but wanted by Martinez at Wigan -- with Coleman right back will he end up as reserve or on loan -- or possibly moved into centre defence?

Lundstram -- Has he been on loan yet? From what ive heard he's slowly improving and playing very well next to Barkley when they are together...sounds like a potentially great box-to-box player for us ?

Barkley -- Surely must push Osman out this season? Would be great to have him in attacking midfield.

Long-- Dont know much about him.

Garbutt - On loan at Cheltenham wasnt he, was he there stand out player? Does he need a year on loan at a higher level?
Did well here in Cheltenham, looked promising.

Stones -- Touted with great potential at Barnsley. Not used under Moyes but wanted by Martinez at Wigan -- with Coleman right back will he end up as reserve or on loan -- or possibly moved into centre defence?
Looks like a good player to me, he'll be on the fringe of the team soon enough

Lundstram -- Has he been on loan yet? From what ive heard he's slowly improving and playing very well next to Barkley when they are together...sounds like a potentially great box-to-box player for us ?
Went to Doncaster and did well, I've never seen him play but he's supposed to have an impressive range of passing.

Barkley -- Surely must push Osman out this season? Would be great to have him in attacking midfield.
I'm starting to believe that ross actually is the boss. Def a bit rough around the edges but with training and game time he looks like he's gonna be a real player for us.

Long-- Dont know much about him.
I'm pretty sure Long is still a way off the first team. Conor McAleny is prob ahead of him in the pecking order.

Did well here in Cheltenham, looked promising.

Looks like a good player to me, he'll be on the fringe of the team soon enough

Went to Doncaster and did well, I've never seen him play but he's supposed to have an impressive range of passing.

I'm starting to believe that ross actually is the boss. Def a bit rough around the edges but with training and game time he looks like he's gonna be a real player for us.

I'm pretty sure Long is still a way off the first team. Conor McAleny is prob ahead of him in the pecking order.

Thanks for that. I'd be really excited to see Garbutt and Stones being integrated in defence and Lundstram and Barkley in midfield.

If you're in Cheltenham and saw Garbutt there how did he compare with the other leftbacks in the league?

Is he the new Baines? Or even the new Luke Shaw or a long way to go?

The couple of times I saw him he looked very good, one of the best players in that team. But as you say there's a long way to go between that and being the 'new luke shaw', let alone the new Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back