The Unholy Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
A modern midfield is typically made in two different ways:

Option 1 is the way Barcelona and Portugal play.

A pivot who takes the ball of the centre backs, sniffs out danger and feeds the ball forwards to the advanced midfielders. Best in the world at this is Busquets. Barry did this for us.

Then two midfielders who operate as all rounders - think Xavi/Modric/Iniesta/Moutinho/KDB/Silva

They must be able to keep possession, both to get the ball into their front players but also to control the game.

Other option is to have a double pivot, with a sitter, a box to box and an attacking midfielder. Think France with Kante and Matuidi giving Pogba more freedom, or even us with Barry, McCarthy and Barkley.

At the moment we don't have anything but the box to box - Davies, McCarthy, Gana, Scneiderlin do that adequately but only Gomes can do the all rounder role.

In Everton terms we need our Barry, Arteta and Barkley to get that combination of passing and the ability to break lines with forward passes and dribbles.

Midfield has been a problem for a while, as has defence. Only natural when people go looking for answers after a bad game.

I just think it will take the team and the manager time to figure everything out and I believe we’ll be much stronger and better with a full compliment to choose from.

...you said, ’midfield has been a problem for a while, as has defence’ but the forward line has hardly been great either.

I know it’s understandable that there’s a knee jerk reaction after a defeat, but it would be more analytical if these strategic problems were highlighted after a win. I agree with you last paragraph.

The unholy trinity have started together 17 times. Of those 17 we’ve won 4, drawn 6 and lost 7.

The 4 wins: Bournemouth (h) (both goals scored after Davies replaced MS to rescue a losing position), Newcastle (a), Swansea (h) (all goals scored after Davies replaced MS early in the game), Southampton (h) (MS went off early with the score at 1-0 to be replaced by Davies)

That means we have won 1 game out of 17 when all three have started together and played 90 minutes (If memory serves me correctly we had 2 shots on target that night both from the same move that led to Rooneys goal)

So when people say ‘they’re not that bad’ etc. They’re wrong. The stats show it. They are woeful.

Game wasn't lost in midfield.
3 you mention were Ok today.
disagree mate the 3 being ok is not good enough for Everton we demand more than ok .that kid in midfield for them rice is no better than our players but he was hungrier and basically just harassed them .we never seem to win the second ball it drives me nuts .so being ok is a load of Barry White TBH you think reid and bracewell we're happy with ok not a chance because they were winners mate if only these crabs had a bit of the same about them

Status
Not open for further replies.