The Unholy Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it contributed massively like.

They were poo.

Just got back but looked like we bossed midfield for me, dominated possession, overall better team.
One of those performances where our defensive positioning means they look dangerous 3 times and score 3 goals for me.

Did Neville and Heitinga not once start for us in midfield?
The 90s had some horror combos

Yeah and they both knew their limitations and played accordingly and we actually ground out some results. Heitinga had a better passing range than any of these three clowns.

The 90s were fairly horrific admittedly.

Other option is to have a double pivot, with a sitter, a box to box and an attacking midfielder. Think France with Kante and Matuidi giving Pogba more freedom, or even us with Barry, McCarthy and Barkley.

At the moment we don't have anything but the box to box - Davies, McCarthy, Gana, Scneiderlin do that adequately but only Gomes can do the all rounder role.

In Everton terms we need our Barry, Arteta and Barkley to get that combination of passing and the ability to break lines with forward passes and dribbles.

Pardonnez-moi?

Davies - Has the raw material to be the box-to-box guy, but needs lots more development.
McCarthy - exclusively a DM. And made of glass.
Gana - exclusively a DM, regardless of managers deploying him elsewhere.
Schneiderlin - a shadow of the old box-to-box he was at Southampton. Realistically poop at this role ever since he moved to United.
Gomes - yet to be seen in Royal blue.

Otherwise, 100% agree with you.

This midfield doesn't function because all of them only do one thing well and nobody carries the ball if Davies doesn't play. If Davies plays he gets hammered for trying to go forward and being erratic, but he tries and has legs. Gana can break up play that's it. Snide can hold and play square balls that's it, Siggy can play one twos and shoot that's it. We need an all rounder, is Gomes the man ? I hope so but we need a box to box player with power we are weak with these three.

Niasse in midfield the answer surely. His technical ability, eye for a pass and all round err how to say, je ne sais quois is streets ahead of this unholy trinity

Schneiderlin Gueye Siggurdson. Over 70 million pounds of ‘talent’ yet in my option they are the worst Everton midfield I’ve seen since the turn of the century.

In recent times we’ve seen Rooney Besic Cleverley Klaasen Vlasic leave the club whilst these three have remained. Apart from Klaasen I would rather see any of these players in our midfield (not that any are good enough, but they are better in my opinion than the unholy trinity).

Serious recruitment is needed in this area. Neville and Carsley would have bossed this midfield with ease never mind the likes of Arteta Pienaar Cahill Fellaini Fernandes etc. A teenage centreback from West Ham who hasn’t played this season and has never played midfield has completely run all over the unholy trinity. They are truly terrible players and amongst the worst midfielders in the league and have been for a long time now. Some of them have looked ok when either Barkley or Rooney has held their hands but as a three and a combination they are truely woeful.

Can anyone think of worse?
Naming Rooney Besic Cleverley Klaasen Vlasic doesn't exactly help your point, especially when you add in Barkley.
But your last bit...
'As a three and a combination they are truely woeful' is nail on head

Ive said for ages we have plenty of individual players in this position and that position
BUT NO MIDFIELD

Status
Not open for further replies.