• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically though offside is not subject to judgment. When the ball is played a line is set and anyone over that line is off. The linesman is asked to judge that but he is either right or wrong. It isn't like a foul where different people can think different things without it being black and white.

I don't like how it is being used currently but I watch enough sports with replay that I'm not going to sit here and say everything is ruined because we are tightly enforcing offside. Let's maybe tweak things instead of totally scrapping it.

Problem is no other sport is really like football, is it?

If someone is a couple of yards offside and scores and it's given then sure, let VAR intervene.

If someone hand balls it in the build and it's given then sure, let VAR intervene.

Right now it is being used almost constantly and almost exclusively not with regards to clear and obvious errors.

It is not rocket science to see the way it is currently being utilised is not of any benefit to football and it's fans. Get yourself in a stadium and watch it in action and then you'll understand how it is just not working out.

It should take twenty seconds (at most) to decide if it’s a clear and obvious error and not the minute analysis that’s been set, which is a horrible precedent.

Yeh, like I say, a clear & obvious error should take a man with a TV screen seconds to work out.

Taking 3 minutes, using software and then still having people say "hmm, I'm not really sure if that's right" is definitely not clear & obvious.

Because that standard isn't applied to offside because it isn't a judgement call. A goal is either a goal or it isn't. Offside either is or isn't. The only issue with VAR is it probably isn't as accurate as they're acting like it is. But if you're upset with close calls being offside that's more a problem with the rule than anything.

Last time I looked, every time a linesman raises his flag (or not as the case may be), THAT is a judgement call.

Just sayin'...

Problem is no other sport is really like football, is it?

If someone is a couple of yards offside and scores and it's given then sure, let VAR intervene.

If someone hand balls it in the build and it's given then sure, let VAR intervene.

Right now it is being used almost constantly and almost exclusively not with regards to clear and obvious errors.

It is not rocket science to see the way it is currently being utilised is not of any benefit to football and it's fans. Get yourself in a stadium and watch it in action and then you'll understand how it is just not working out.
No but rugby isn't like cricket and they both have competent replay reviews that work for their sports. It can be done, but when you have the buffoons in charge currently trying to do it problems arise.

Last time I looked, every time a linesman raises his flag (or not as the case may be), THAT is a judgement call.

Just sayin'...
It isn't though. He's either right or wrong at the end. A judgment call is one where two people could look at it, come to different conclusions, and have no real way of saying who is right.

Yeh, like I say, a clear & obvious error should take a man with a TV screen seconds to work out.

Taking 3 minutes, using software and then still having people say "hmm, I'm not really sure if that's right" is definitely not clear & obvious.
I'm fine with this but they need to have some kind of way to get camera angles that are pretty much in line for offside or they can't use VAR on those as the angles will throw everything off.

It isn't though. He's either right or wrong at the end. A judgment call is one where two people could look at it, come to different conclusions, and have no real way of saying who is right.

YES IT IS! How can you not understand that?

And this is frankly ridiculous: "...A judgment call is one where two people could look at it, come to different conclusions, and have no real way of saying who is right..." It takes two people to make a judgement call? Are you serious???

YES IT IS! How can you not understand that?

And this is frankly ridiculous: "...A judgment call is one where two people could look at it, come to different conclusions, and have no real way of saying who is right..." It takes two people to make a judgement call? Are you serious???
Is whether the ball went over the line for a goal a judgment call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back