Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most clubs do, and the problem is that the plan is usually overcomplicated and unrealistic (as ours has been up until Ancelotti). City and the RS's plan was simple - just to get the best manager they could possibly get, turn the football parts of the club over to them and back them properly; Pep and Klopp are two of the three great managers of our times and so the plan has worked.

Burnley and Leicester followed the tried and tested route of teams getting into the PL and staying there - ie: keep the spine of the same side that took you up there and show no respect to the teams already in the PL (admittedly Leicester took that to extremes when they won the league). West Brom, Charlton, Stoke and others did that for a while but its very hard to sustain.
But turning the football club over to someone with a plan still means that there's a master plan in place. 75% of clubs don't have that. Getting into the league and staying there is way too basic.

What I'm talking about is someone coming in and saying "We are playing this formation, these are the types of players I need to make that work, these players that we have fit, these ones don't so sell them, these targets have the traits we need so sign them." I think about a quarter of the league actually does that and commits to it for multiple years. That is what Klopp and Pep did and that is what we need someone to do. Nothing about that is simple at all.

City have done it with Pep, RS have, Leicester look set to, Burnley have (although their version has clear limits even if they had unlimited money to spend) and I'd say that Wolves do under Nuno. When you look at those teams you can immediately see what there system is and where players fit. City have a whole second team that is completely interchangeable with the first. The RS have 6 CMs with the same skill set.

So how about Everton? We have 3 completely different CBs. 5 CMs with varying abilities that require an entire reset of the team when we switch them out. A bunch of attackers with skill sets that don't all the way fit into the same system. It's impossible to say that we've operated the last 5 years with some kind of grand vision for what the team would be at some point. It was never a complete plan even if at some point Koeman could say "Well this is how I will use these 3 #10s I bought at once," or Silva could say "This is the midfield shape I intend to use this year."

I get the feeling more clubs are doing what we've done than are committing to a vision that might take 3 to 5 years to implement. United and Spurs have certainly lost their way after Ferguson and Poch set things up correctly. Chelsea had a short term spell with Conte but honestly the time in between Mourinho spells is a great example of how much money it takes to keep things running when you have no discernible direction. There's countless other examples. But you seem to think that teams are smart by and large and that just is not the case.

I came, I saw, I suffered.

Horrific.

Anyone that supports a team outside the top 3 this season must have masochistic tendencies.

Lo Celso was a big positive. There weren't many others. Desperately need a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back