Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are the best team in the league, Europe and likely the world right now. I don't think anybody can argue with that. The thing is, they actually don't need outside help for them to win things. Teams automatically lose focus or simply get scared of visiting Anfield and it's enough. It's utterly pathetic that the FA is bending over backwards to accommodate their run to the league title. The only straws I have left to grasp are their fixtures in December.

If City can go into the new year 5-6 points behind them I think it's all still to play for. Never mind Leicester or Chelsea; it's a two-horse race.

Liverpool
Palace away
4 days later
Napoli away
2 days later
Brighton home
4 days later
Everton home
2 days later
Bournemouth away
3 days later
Salzburg away
3 days later
Watford home
4 days later
Villa away (cup)
1 day later
World Club Cup semi final
2 days later
World Club Cup final
6 days later
Leicester away
3 days later
Wolves home
4 days later
Sheffield United home

= 13 games in just over a month

City
Chelsea home
3 days later
Shakhtar home
3 days later
Newcastle away
4 days later
Burnley away
4 days later
United home
5 days later
Zagreb away
4 days later
Arsenal away
4 days later
Oxford (cup)
4 days later
Leicester home
6 days later
Wolves away
3 days later
Sheffield United home
3 days later
Everton home

= 12 games in just over a month

I think the difference is that Liverpool aren't runaway leaders in their Champions League group, so won't be able to rest easy against Napoli, whereas City are 5 points clear and just need 2 more points to guarantee top spot in their group.

Plus City will almost certainly put out a second string against Oxford in the cup, so those 2 games, plus Zagreb in the Champions League should see the likes of Jesus, Ottamenti, Bravo, Zinchenko, Foden, Mahrez et al playing the 90 minutes.

While we can say the same for Liverpool in their World Club Cup games, at least they will need to take a squad over there and travel thousands of miles - a day after their cup game and directly before Christmas, leaving very little time to prepare for Leicester away.

Unfortunately, the last 2 years have shown any kind of fixture backlog has proven no obstacle to them and they generally find ways to take all the points on offer. Hopefully this year may be different. They don't have the squad that City does, and we know they play worse against 'poorer' opposition in the league... maybe the likes of us, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United might cause them problems.

That said, knowing City this year they will keep their players fresh and still find ways to lose a handful of games there. But I do think December is crucial to the title race. If City cannot make up at least 4-5 points then it is over.

He looked so wound up yesterday, seems he tries to hard when he plays in that ground and compounded with the booing and chants he always ends up playing awful.

Looks like that coming together in the latter stages of the game has boiled over, that will be the most exciting thing this international break.

I never watched the game but I just know Sterling is hoelesd every time he goes to the Pit.

He visibly wilts when the abuse is rained down on him from the stands.

Pep really needs to have wised up to that fact by now.

To be fair normally you think you've pulled Kelly Brooke only to wake up realising you've been to Brown Town with Pat Butcher. On a random note - I once took a woman home from Pop World (slipped on some ice coming down the stairs and rugby tackled her in the back) all seemingly went well until in the morning I noticed her knickers on the floor absolutely full of skids.

You would probably have a load of skids in your undercrackers too if someone twice your weight came flying down the stairs ready to skittle you over!!!

They are the best team in the league, Europe and likely the world right now. I don't think anybody can argue with that. The thing is, they actually don't need outside help for them to win things. Teams automatically lose focus or simply get scared of visiting Anfield and it's enough. It's utterly pathetic that the FA is bending over backwards to accommodate their run to the league title. The only straws I have left to grasp are their fixtures in December.

If City can go into the new year 5-6 points behind them I think it's all still to play for. Never mind Leicester or Chelsea; it's a two-horse race.

Liverpool
Palace away
4 days later
Napoli away
2 days later
Brighton home
4 days later
Everton home
2 days later
Bournemouth away
3 days later
Salzburg away
3 days later
Watford home
4 days later
Villa away (cup)
1 day later
World Club Cup semi final
2 days later
World Club Cup final
6 days later
Leicester away
3 days later
Wolves home
4 days later
Sheffield United home

= 13 games in just over a month

City
Chelsea home
3 days later
Shakhtar home
3 days later
Newcastle away
4 days later
Burnley away
4 days later
United home
5 days later
Zagreb away
4 days later
Arsenal away
4 days later
Oxford (cup)
4 days later
Leicester home
6 days later
Wolves away
3 days later
Sheffield United home
3 days later
Everton home

= 12 games in just over a month

I think the difference is that Liverpool aren't runaway leaders in their Champions League group, so won't be able to rest easy against Napoli, whereas City are 5 points clear and just need 2 more points to guarantee top spot in their group.

Plus City will almost certainly put out a second string against Oxford in the cup, so those 2 games, plus Zagreb in the Champions League should see the likes of Jesus, Ottamenti, Bravo, Zinchenko, Foden, Mahrez et al playing the 90 minutes.

While we can say the same for Liverpool in their World Club Cup games, at least they will need to take a squad over there and travel thousands of miles - a day after their cup game and directly before Christmas, leaving very little time to prepare for Leicester away.

Unfortunately, the last 2 years have shown any kind of fixture backlog has proven no obstacle to them and they generally find ways to take all the points on offer. Hopefully this year may be different. They don't have the squad that City does, and we know they play worse against 'poorer' opposition in the league... maybe the likes of us, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United might cause them problems.

That said, knowing City this year they will keep their players fresh and still find ways to lose a handful of games there. But I do think December is crucial to the title race. If City cannot make up at least 4-5 points then it is over.
Some homework on a team you don't even support (allegedly)

I love it,some of my favourite games have been fa cup ones,setting off to Plymouth the night before the game,Stoke getting flooded with blues,kidnapping a vicar at Notts County,Inchys goal at Highbury,the sheer joy of seeing us lift the cup nothing like it,its the greatest ko tournament in the world
Must have had no sleep go or over 36hrs for that Plymouth match. Walking to Lime St at 1am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back