Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the top teams look weak this year. City being the exception. PSG are making hard work of Ligue 1 this year. Barca and Madrid have been poor. Juve not dominating Seria A. RS struggling for top 4. Bayern probably the only other team looking good and they have had a few wobbles recently in the league. Think City, Bayern and PSG would all do the RS over 2 legs though.

Offside all day long.

The rule needs urgent clarification as there's clearly been a total misreading of it.

Giroud is offside from the initial pass; a deflection shouldn't make him somehow onside again, it's very clearly the same phase of play.

England has a lot of young talent coming through so I'd have done the same thing.
This is a quote from him, seems pretty clear

“I’ve thought about this question a lot,” he says. “‘What is best for my future?’ ‘Where do I have more chances to play?’ In the end, I just listened to the feeling that over a long period of time kept telling me that it was the right decision to play for Germany, the land I was born in. Still, it wasn’t an easy decision for me.”

Reactions: JMT

Offside all day long.

The rule needs urgent clarification as there's clearly been a total misreading of it.

Giroud is offside from the initial pass; a deflection shouldn't make him somehow onside again, it's very clearly the same phase of play.

Do you not understand the rules? Once a defender attempts to play the ball, it doesn't matter how "offside" the striker is, the attacker automatically becomes onside by default. This rule has been in place for donkey years.

Do you not understand the rules? Once a defender attempts to play the ball, it doesn't matter how "offside" the striker is, the attacker automatically becomes onside by default. This rule has been in place for donkey years.

It hasn't. The striker is offside when the initial ball is played. The deflection doesn't matter as it's unintended.

It's like a through ball coming off the leg of a defender who's got an interception wrong, rolling through to a striker five yards offside - it's still offside as the forward ball was initially made by the opposition player.

It comes down to whether it's a 'deliberate play' on the ball.

All that said, if Mount doesn't touch the ball as some have said (looks it from that angle but haven't seen others), then the point is moot. If the defender just hooks the ball over his own head, even if under pressure, then Giroud is onside. If it's deflected off his toe after Mount gets the first touch, he's offside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back