Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well with that result I'll finally accept we can't win the league again this season.

Still, 2nd up for grabs!
Champions League next season, that’s the main thing right now, then we can use that as a stepping stone to move up another rung.

With Man City having all the money, winning the league will be a long stretch.

Champions League next season, that’s the main thing right now, then we can use that as a stepping stone to move up another rung.

With Man City having all the money, winning the league will be a long stretch.

Every great team falls eventually. Will be difficult to surpass City whilst Guardiola is there (unless we get Jurgen’s doping programme) but once he goes there’s no guarantee they carry on their dominance just as United and Chelsea have fallen away recently.

They’ll have to win the European Treble to get one over United on that front, but to do it twice would be still one amazing achievement.

Got to give it to them, they are better than any United team that has ever existed. The 1998/99 one played in a weaker edition of the European Cup than any of the ones City have played in, and United’s luck was just ridiculous and of a level never seen since. They also only got 79 points in the league to win it and relied on a tired Arsenal team in extra time to win their FA Cup semi.
From a tactical perspective, I'd say their about on par with each other (Pep and SAF are both tactically brilliant managers)...

But if were doing a player by player comparison, then there really is no debate here- That United team were simply something else (Irwin, Giggs, Scholes, Yorke, Cole, Beckham, etc...)

KDB is the only City player I can see being a consistent starter for them.

Dare I say, I wouldn't even rate this City squad as the 2nd best PL side- I think Chelsea (04-06) were better than them.

Imagine what it must feel like to win 20 games on the spin ffs.

I know we had 7 at the start of the season that was our best run for about 100 bleedin' years: they have treble that amount now.

Absolutely unreal.

But there again, I guess that's what breaking the rules and barely being punished for it gets you. When you have unlimited funds and can break every FFP rule there is, you should probably win every game tbh, especially when you usually have a bench full of 50m players.
We had a 10match winning run in 84/85, Grimsby beat us to stop the run.

We had a 10match winning run in 84/85, Grimsby beat us to stop the run.
What a fantastic team we were back then. If UEFA did not ban English clubs for all that time, we would have won the EC/CL the following season.

In the CWC, we knocked out a Bayern side who won their league that same season, but also led it for all 34 match days. Also, we were a much better team than the Juventus side that won the big one, as they could only finish 6th in Serie A, while we won Division 1.

World Soccer magazine’s readers even voted us as the best team in the world that year. Just a damn shame the English ban got implemented soon after, who knows what we would have achieved?.

What any of us wouldn’t give just to have one season of that greatness in our lifetimes and at an age we can all remember it.

What a fantastic team we were back then. If UEFA allowed the top 4 to qualify for the European Cup/Champions League back then, we would have won it.

In the CWC, we knocked out a Bayern side who won their league that same season, but also led it for all 34 match days. Also, we were a much better team than the Juventus side that won the big one, as they could only finish 6th in Serie A, while we won Division 1.

World Soccer magazine’s readers even voted us as the best team in the world that year. Just a damn shame the English ban got implemented soon after, who knows what we would have achieved?.

What any of us wouldn’t give just to have one season of that greatness in our lifetimes and at an age we can all remember it.
We would have won it,no doubt about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back