Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
One team gets a soft touch like lower division Bournemouth another gets quadruple chasing City.

Arsenal won the 2017 FA cup after meeting two non league sides in consecutive rounds, Sutton United in the 5th and Lincoln in the quarters.

The cup isn't fair it's not decided on merit, you don't have to meet the best to win it that's idiotic, you can meet F*** all and still win the cup, even get relegated the same year like Wigan.

Portsmouth, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City, Swansea the list of lower league teams who have won a domestic cup and been relegated soon afterwards goes on and on.

The league is the only place to decide who is a good team the FA cup is a poor lucky dip by comparison - there's some shíte been in the final too - relegated Watford, Middlesbrough, Hull City etc.

The FA Cup is rightly dismissed as worth far less than the league, it's nowhere near a major trophy and most teams have far less respect for it until the later rounds. Why we had to draw City so early on and be this year's mugs and fall guys? We win and everyone else benefits, we lose and everyone else thinks at least we had a far better draw.
Might just not bother turning up then eh? You not been to a cup final? Ffs everyone knows it's not as meritorus as the prem but that's the idea isn't it? Smaller sides coming up against bigger opposition and winning. Yes, it's not taken as seriously as it used to be due to the greed of the prem and the top 6 hierarchy, which imo is appalling.
I'd love to win it........... Again!!!!!

Might just not bother turning up then eh? You not been to a cup final? Ffs everyone knows it's not as meritorus as the prem but that's the idea isn't it? Smaller sides coming up against bigger opposition and winning. Yes, it's not taken as seriously as it used to be due to the greed of the prem and the top 6 hierarchy, which imo is appalling.
I'd love to win it........... Again!!!!!

It's such an easy accusation to make 'because of the greed of the prem' but clubs are businesses and will naturally prioritise.

Fans can wish clubs took no regard of money and didn't prioritise trophies or competitions, but that's idealistic not realistic - businesses pay wages and need to be run as efficiently as possible that's the real world.

On the supposed top six, the very top clubs have European football usually the Champions League and the Premier League as their priorities, even if not City it's top four qualification. Of course money drives priorities as that's called running your business as efficiently as possible, they can't afford idealism.

It's such an easy accusation to make 'because of the greed of the prem' but clubs are businesses and will naturally prioritise.

Fans can wish clubs took no regard of money and didn't prioritise trophies or competitions, but that's idealistic not realistic - businesses pay wages and need to be run as efficiently as possible that's the real world.

On the supposed top six, the very top clubs have European football usually the Champions League and the Premier League as their priorities, even if not City it's top four qualification. Of course money drives priorities as that's called running your business as efficiently as possible, they can't afford idealism.
Stick to cricket mate :plollollol

Are you suggesting clubs weren’t run to maximise income before the advent of the Premier League? The issue really is that clubs now exclusively consider income and wealth over glory and the better off clubs hoover up the trophies year on year which further adds to the decline of the FA Cup. Football is now rigged. Are you content with the new reality?

Are you suggesting clubs weren’t run to maximise income before the advent of the Premier League? The issue really is that clubs now exclusively consider income and wealth over glory and the better off clubs hoover up the trophies year on year which further adds to the decline of the FA Cup. Football is now rigged. Are you content with the new reality?

If I'm content or not it makes little difference I'm saying it as I think it is atm. Of course there wasn't the massive chasm in rewards between the major trophies and leagues and the minor ones like the FA and League Cups in bygone years.

Whether I like it or not clubs are businesses and aren't concerned with my opinion as to whether they should be run efficiently or not.

I know it's the magic of the cup and the luck of the draw and all that but I just think there's too much on just being very lucky.

The Fat Spanish Waiter got heavily criticised when the sh*te fielded their reserves and lost to Burnley during his tenure, but it possibly reflected European attitudes were domestic trophies are seen as next to worthless.

I suppose you could point to United playing in the World club thing instead one year, but with better European managers at the helm of most of our top clubs I'm pretty sure that's had an effect.

You can understand it with the really big boys with multiple trophies to chase, but inevitably top four, promotion, avoiding relegation and even a higher place in the table are taking priority as financially they can mean far more (*). Clubs are businesses and the actual world means realism, being run efficiently and finances having to come first.

(*) Obviously a league place or two doesn't mean far more but promotion to the prem, avoiding relegation from the prem, top four or major trophies definitely do.

If I'm content or not it makes little difference I'm saying it as I think it is atm. Of course there wasn't the massive chasm in rewards between the major trophies and leagues and the minor ones like the FA and League Cups in bygone years.

Whether I like it or not clubs are businesses and aren't concerned with my opinion as to whether they should be run efficiently or not.

I know it's the magic of the cup and the luck of the draw and all that but I just think there's too much on just being very lucky.

The Fat Spanish Waiter got heavily criticised when the sh*te fielded their reserves and lost to Burnley during his tenure, but it possibly reflected European attitudes were domestic trophies are seen as next to worthless.

I suppose you could point to United playing in the World club thing instead one year, but with better European managers at the helm of most of our top clubs I'm pretty sure that's had an effect.

You can understand it with the really big boys with multiple trophies to chase, but inevitably top four, promotion, avoiding relegation and even a higher place in the table are taking priority as financially they can mean far more (*). Clubs are businesses and the actual world means realism, being run efficiently and finances having to come first.

(*) Obviously a league place or two doesn't mean far more but promotion to the prem, avoiding relegation from the prem, top four or major trophies definitely do.
I’ve read that 3 times and I can’t fathom what point you are making, if any.

I’ve read that 3 times and I can’t fathom what point you are making, if any.
Primarily that attitudes have changed as the big European managers have come into the league. This isn't particularly hard to understand as domestic cups in Europe aren't highly rated.

Promotion, avoiding relegation etc are far higher priorities for some while the major trophies and top four are for the big clubs, these attitudes permeate down to other teams too so the competition loses even what worth it formerly enjoyed. It's a continuing process that perhaps started as long ago as when Benitez fielded heavily weakened Liverpool sides in the FA Cup

Primarily that attitudes have changed as the big European managers have come into the league. This isn't particularly hard to understand as domestic cups in Europe aren't highly rated.

Promotion, avoiding relegation etc are far higher priorities for some while the major trophies and top four are for the big clubs, these attitudes permeate down to other teams too so the competition loses even what worth it formerly enjoyed. It's a continuing process that perhaps started as long ago as when Benitez fielded heavily weakened Liverpool sides in the FA Cup
Got it. Thanks. I agree that must have an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back