Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought (which was admittedly quite cynical) was that Qatar had a bunch of ringers on their team. But I googled their team and they are all home-grown and play in Qatari clubs.

By home-grown, I don't mean all players were born there. But many were born in Qatar and those born abroad, a majority seem to have moved there in early childhood. So not too different from other countries it seems.

By home-grown, I don't mean all players were born there. But many were born in Qatar and those born abroad, a majority seem to have moved there in early childhood. So not too different from other countries it seems.
Muntari stood out as particularly not a Qatari name. Thought he might be related to Sulley but looks like no direct relation even though they’re both Ghanaian.

Muntari stood out as particularly not a Qatari name. Thought he might be related to Sulley but looks like no direct relation even though they’re both Ghanaian.
Their biggest "ringer" is Ro ro, who seemed to have become a Qatari citizen at like age 20 (after playing for Benefica youth). But again, lots of players could have played for two countries...Podolski and Zaha come to mind.

I am rooting for Qatar in that group. Their manager managed the Barcelona Youth from 1996-2006. He might know a thing or two about developing talent.
I know it’s not on their players or manager, but it’s hard to root for a nation that bribed their way to a World Cup and then had over 6000 migrant workers literally die to get their stadiums built.

I mean I don't want to turn this thread into a current affairs argument, but it's easy for me to root for the USA and we're guilty of all sorts of atrocities...especially with regards to our southern border the last few years.
Yes best to not get into it here as I don’t think there’s equivalence. No nation is without sin, but if any western country allowed 10 people to die working to prepare for an entertainment event it wouldn’t be stood for. There would be immediate repercussions. In Qatar it’s literal thousands and no one bats an eye. Why is that?

On a lighter note, apparently Granada has a population the size of Billings, Montana. Amazing they can find 11 players and not get absolutely embarrassed here.

Last edited:
Yes best to not get into it here as I don’t think there’s equivalence. No nation is without sin, but if any western country allowed 10 people to die working to prepare for an entertainment event it wouldn’t be stood for. There would be immediate repercussions. In Qatar it’s literal thousands and no one bats an eye. Why is that?

I just looked at our immigrant labor deaths and it ain't pretty. The article is somewhat misleading as well. They just state a big number. How many of those dead over a decade were from natural causes? How many were suicide. Again I don't want to make this a big fight and off topic boo boos for both of us. Just reread that article from 10000 feet of you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back