Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting point made by Pep’s during his pre match press conference yesterday when talking about injuries. He said that he’d just seen some stats that show there are 47% more muscle injuries to Premier League players right now than this stage last year. With the amount of games being played I can only see it getting worse.

Add the fact the Euros will be played next Summer too and that really is a hectic schedule for some players.

Still £600k per match though. Glad it is a disaster though. I wouldn't pay £1 to watch WBA v BHA or whatever.

A few points on this mate. The first is, it costs around 500k to put on a match show for live TV (I presume much less for MOTD) which was one of the motors for this. The broadcasters were increasingly saying "who's paying for this". So at an average of 600k a pop, they are barely turning a profit.

The 2nd point I'd seen wa sthat they wre giving the club 3 quid a match for this. I'm not sure if thats each or split between them but we will work on between them. If thats the case, the broadcasters, on average are losing money here. The clubs are profiting a tiny amount as well. On average about 100k per game. It's worth asking, has it really been worth the reputational damage?

The other thing that hits me, is the idea that a PPV model within the PL, and espedcially a European Super League is in any way feasible, particularly one that is based upon PPV numbers has just died a death with those figures. I think 3 or 4 of the proposed teams to be involved, have seemingly not managed to attract the same number of viewers that normally go to the match to sign up, never mind any beyond that. The idea that there are legions of people, ready to fork out more money for those teams is completely fanciful on this evidence. I include Everton in this too by the way, while we haven't been on PPV yet, it would be the same result.

Boxing PPV cards, even fairly mediocre ones generally get 250k as a base level of buy ins. Moderate ones tend to do 5-600k (that was Bellew-Haye, Bellew-Usyk was around this). Joshua is always over a million buys. It's little wonder Sky are looking at this as an embaressment.

I'll go back to that middle point. Evidence seems, beyond the numbers who would watch in the stadium, there looks to be no appetite for this whatsoever. What happens when football is back live, and those people who watch on PPV (at least some, probably a great deal) can just go and watch in person? It's pitiful and very stark.

A few points on this mate. The first is, it costs around 500k to put on a match show for live TV (I presume much less for MOTD) which was one of the motors for this. The broadcasters were increasingly saying "who's paying for this". So at an average of 600k a pop, they are barely turning a profit.

The 2nd point I'd seen wa sthat they wre giving the club 3 quid a match for this. I'm not sure if thats each or split between them but we will work on between them. If thats the case, the broadcasters, on average are losing money here. The clubs are profiting a tiny amount as well. On average about 100k per game. It's worth asking, has it really been worth the reputational damage?

The other thing that hits me, is the idea that a PPV model within the PL, and espedcially a European Super League is in any way feasible, particularly one that is based upon PPV numbers has just died a death with those figures. I think 3 or 4 of the proposed teams to be involved, have seemingly not managed to attract the same number of viewers that normally go to the match to sign up, never mind any beyond that. The idea that there are legions of people, ready to fork out more money for those teams is completely fanciful on this evidence. I include Everton in this too by the way, while we haven't been on PPV yet, it would be the same result.

Boxing PPV cards, even fairly mediocre ones generally get 250k as a base level of buy ins. Moderate ones tend to do 5-600k (that was Bellew-Haye, Bellew-Usyk was around this). Joshua is always over a million buys. It's little wonder Sky are looking at this as an embaressment.

I'll go back to that middle point. Evidence seems, beyond the numbers who would watch in the stadium, there looks to be no appetite for this whatsoever. What happens when football is back live, and those people who watch on PPV (at least some, probably a great deal) can just go and watch in person? It's pitiful and very stark.

Excellent points. As i said, i am glad it has been a disaster. I have not watched a single televised game Spurs have not been involved in this season & even then i have only watched 1.5 Premier League games of ours (opening day & the first half last night) & three Europa matches in full. Football without fans is not football in my opinion.

I have been reading books instead. Novel idea.

Excellent points. As i said, i am glad it has been a disaster. I have not watched a single televised game Spurs have not been involved in this season & even then i have only watched 1.5 Premier League games of ours (opening day & the first half last night) & three Europa matches in full. Football without fans is not football in my opinion.

You're a clever one, Mr Grinch! :)

I think there's a lot too that.

I'm glad it's been a disaster too. You sort of hope the right lessons are learned from it really.

Counter argument for the sake of it.....

The PPV has come in with a wave of negative press towards the price. But it's the same kind of negativity that surrounded the price of Sky plus the cost of a Sky Sports subscription when that was a new thing. Over time it could become begrudgingly accepted and then normalised, it happens with everything. PPV in boxing was viewed with incredulity not so long ago but it's now pretty much mainstream with prices of £20 for non championship fights.

The PL were looking to more or less match average stadium attendances during this time of huge media backlash and they've more or less done that. It's not been anything like the disaster it's being made out to be in some quarters.

I have VHS of old Everton match where it was one camera recording it from the main stand.
£500k to put a match on the telly is staggering.
Bookies adverts must pay for loads of that when you see the amounts placed on a live game on Betfair etc.

An interesting point made by Pep’s during his pre match press conference yesterday when talking about injuries. He said that he’d just seen some stats that show there are 47% more muscle injuries to Premier League players right now than this stage last year. With the amount of games being played I can only see it getting worse.

As long as manager's and club's idea of "conditioning" players is to see how much they can get out of them then it was always going to get worse. Relentless pressing football, lack of rotation, playing through injury and taking their cues from cycling's approach to conditioning takes it's toll over time.

It's a daft number of games but clubs still have to take responsibility and maybe shed the "At all costs" approach to winning.

Counter argument for the sake of it.....

The PPV has come in with a wave of negative press towards the price. But it's the same kind of negativity that surrounded the price of Sky plus the cost of a Sky Sports subscription when that was a new thing. Over time it could become begrudgingly accepted and then normalised, it happens with everything. PPV in boxing was viewed with incredulity not so long ago but it's now pretty much mainstream with prices of £20 for non championship fights.

The PL were looking to more or less match average stadium attendances during this time of huge media backlash and they've more or less done that. It's not been anything like the disaster it's being made out to be in some quarters.

Perfectly well put counter mate. However given what has happened, I think any case againt will not be stronger. You'd always have expected the initial games to be most watched and gradually some decline. It's been a fascinating start, you cant watch in person and the league is wide open. Yet the numbers are pitiful. You have to sense PPV has been put well off the agenda with these figures.

Perfectly well put counter mate. However given what has happened, I think any case againt will not be stronger. You'd always have expected the initial games to be most watched and gradually some decline. It's been a fascinating start, you cant watch in person and the league is wide open. Yet the numbers are pitiful. You have to sense PPV has been put well off the agenda with these figures.

I'd argue that the expectation was the initial games would be the hardest to push. It's a hugely unpopular concept given that people had got use to all games on their existing platforms at no extra cost. That's a very hard sell in the short term.

There was, and is still, a sense of people making a stand and saying no but like other things that will to make a stand weakens and what was previously vehement and vocal opposition becomes indifference to the product and then becomes begrudgingly accepted (Where else are you going to get it?) and then becomes the new normal way to consume the product.

The time that the PL will be privately looking and thinking things aren't working is a year or two down the line - as of now it's just riding out the bad publicity and may well make the odd sympathetic noise or token symbol of repentance as a PR ploy.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was deliberately overpriced so as to present a price correction as a climbdown. If people think buying a game for £10 instead of £15 is a win then let them win. Like boxing the price will creep up eventually.

PL gets the price they wanted and Twitter fans everywhere celebrate the pyrrhic victory of a price cut while ultimately still buying the new product. PL going the Black Friday route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back