Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate. My baptism of fire was the late 70s. But if you;re referring to the "Moores cash" it was nowhere on a par with this City funding. It's ridiculous to make that case.

It's not ridiculous at all. It is relative to its time, as everything is.

In the 1960s Everton were the big spenders. One purchase alone is testament to that: Alan Ball after the World Cup win in July 1966. A truly world class player, even then. And we just went out and bought him.

So sorry, mate, you're wrong. You weren't there to live through it and witness it.

In the 1960s Everton were the big spenders. One purchase alone is testament to that: Alan Ball after the World Cup win in July 1966. A truly world class player, even then. And we just went out and bought him.

So sorry, mate, you're wrong. You weren't there to live through it and witness it.
I was only a kid in the 60s and my dad who was an Everton fan complained about the Moore’s money until well into the 70s
He wanted Everton to be like Celtic , Win the European cup with 11 players born within a few miles of the ground

I dont have to have lived through it to know you're wrong. And the Ball transfer proves nothing. That was Everton's major signing of the decade at £110,000. United, Leicester and Leeds all trumped that fee.

The 1960s team's achievements weren't bought. The absolute peak performance reached in 1969/70 was comprised of players coming through the ranks at the club plus five signings (and three of those were pretty cheap):

Gordon West 27 grand
John Hurst youth team player
Roger Kenyon youth team player
Tommy Wright youth team player
Joe Royle youth team player
John Morrissey 10 grand
Alan Ball 110 grand
Colin Harvey youth team player
Alan Whittle youth team player
Howard Kendall 85 grand
Jimmy Husband youth team player
Terry Darracott youth team player
Sandy Brown 38 grand

How you can argue that ^^^ is the same model City have of blowing all opposition out of the water by paying stupendous fees for world class players (two for every position) I do not know.

I dont have to have lived through it to know you're wrong. And the Ball transfer proves nothing. That was Everton's major signing of the decade at £110,000. United, Leicester and Leeds all trumped that fee.

The 1960s team's achievements weren't bought. The absolute peak performance reached in 1969/70 was comprised of players coming through the ranks at the club plus five signings (and three of those were pretty cheap):

Gordon West 27 grand
John Hurst youth team player
Roger Kenyon youth team player
Tommy Wright youth team player
Joe Royle youth team player
John Morrissey 10 grand
Alan Ball 110 grand
Colin Harvey youth team player
Alan Whittle youth team player
Howard Kendall 85 grand
Jimmy Husband youth team player
Terry Darracott youth team player
Sandy Brown 38 grand

How you can argue that ^^^ is the same model City have of blowing all opposition out of the water by paying stupendous fees for world class players (two for every position) I do not know.

Love how you leave out all the other purchases. The above is a classic example of your selective posting - there's a lot of players bought that you have not included.

In putting together the Championship-winning team of '62-'63:
Scouring Scotland and picking up:
Alex Parker
Alex Scott
Alex Young
Jimmy Gabriel
George Thomson

England:
Roy Vernon
Dennis Stevens
Billy Bingham
Gordon West
Tony Kay

Nearly a complete line-up. I'll leave it there for now.

Do you REALLY want me to go on to the mid-60s purchases...?

Do us all a favour, and quit now...

And the model was the same then as it is now: buy the best, win the trophies.

And of course some came through the ranks - is that your 'get out of jail' card in this discussion? Hilarious...

Love how you leave out all the other purchases. The above is a classic example of your selective posting - there's a lot of players bought that you have not included.

In putting together the Championship-winning team of '62-'63:
Scouring Scotland and picking up:
Alex Parker
Alex Scott
Alex Young
Jimmy Gabriel
George Thomson

England:
Roy Vernon
Dennis Stevens
Billy Bingham
Gordon West
Tony Kay

Nearly a complete line-up. I'll leave it there for now.

Do you REALLY want me to go on to the mid-60s purchases...?

Do us all a favour, and quit now...

And the model was the same then as it is now: buy the best, win the trophies.

And of course some came through the ranks - is that your 'get out of jail' card in this discussion? Hilarious...
Only one of those was in the best team the 60s produced for Everton...and I already mentioned him. That's the reason they weren't name checked. That title for one wasn't bought was it? Unless you think spending about £250k back then was buying the title.

You think the Leeds, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs teams of the 60s were assembled for much less than the Everton team of the 60s? There is NO comparison between what's going on with City of this past decade and Everton of the 1960s. It's barking mad to state otherwise, not to mention an insult to the players who won two titles in that era.

You'd have been on safer ground using the 70s in terms of spending by Everton, but then again we won f.a. then and that wouldn't suit your lame argument.

Well, I don't see the names of de Gea, Kane, Hazard, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, and so on on the Man City team sheet.

Believe what you want. I KNOW what happened back then...

And how is it an insult to the players who won two titles? What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?

You are the one with the lame argument. Doesn't someone agree with you, Dave? Shame...

No point in further discussion with you, as you only see what Dave sees. Can't be arsed...

Citeh used to bring & buy great players, Steve Kinsey, Gerry Gow, Mark Lillis, Tommy Caton, Kenny Clements, Tony Henry, Gerry Creaney, Peter Bodak, Mick McArthy,

That's another shocking attendance at Swansea that. Got about 7k in the last replay and looks no more than 8k tonight. Whole of a home end closed.

Replay or not for a premier league side it's an abysmal crowd and I don't care if they are snowed in by 40ft of snow either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back