Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, not city's fault our club don't have a clue or the clout to get some top players in. Anyone who's has to tolerate Utd for an entire lifetime should be entitled to a day in the bloody Sun! City spend ridiculous yes, but if you actually like footy, you like watching the current city side. Ideally it'd be a more level playing field but it's not, & our club helped make it this skewed by voting for the premiership.

Ive read over and over again on this forum, some fans saying stuff like "I would hate to be City, spending all that money", WAR CRIMES, give me WAR CRIMES and shiny trophies.

Can't wait for the day it all goes tits up tv money wise. There's many of us fed up with this circus.

The money in the game IS out of control but this trajectory started a long time ago when clubs such as Everton (and yes City as well) voted to form the Premier League, they all wanted a bigger piece of the pie for themselves. United and Spurs led the way in transforming what used to be community based clubs into corporate entities by listing them selves as public companies, the sort of thing that allows people like the Glazers to swoop in and buy a club with a loan leveraged against the club itself. Literally evil genius to buy a club without using any of your own money. Everyone got greedy and sowed the wind in the early 90s now they're heading for the storm shelters praying for a reset button?

Ive read over and over again on this forum, some fans saying stuff like "I would hate to be City, spending all that money", WAR CRIMES, give me WAR CRIMES and shiny trophies.

Yeah but we're not gonna have that luck so if you want the shiny things something needs to be done about about teams like City.

Yeah but we're not gonna have that luck so if you want the shiny things something needs to be done about about teams like City.

FFP is there to protect us all mate, dont worry, I mean its quite normal that City signed a 400m sponsorship, with themselves.

:hayee::hayee::hayee::hayee:

Am I jealous of City?

God damn right I am, do I think its unfair? A little, but we support a club that used to be called The Mersey Millionaires, so im not gonna be that outraged!! United make more money in a month than we do in a year, lifes unfair, instead of crying about how unfair it is, simply be better, spend better, sign better players, get a better manager, simple really.

Exactly....thought this was a rawk thread complaining about "its all about der oil klubs innit? " that we like to give the rs stick forlollol

Well it kind of does doesn't it. You spend ridiculous amounts of money to become stronger, money only a few other clubs can just about keep pace with, and the rest pick up the scraps and in essence become weaker. Have you seen the league table? From 7th down?

Yet Leicester won the league only 2 seasons ago (they've just paid their fine for breaching FFP to get out of the championship btw), was that a weak league? Arguably it was depending on your metric. This season the top end have got their act together and it's looking like English clubs will be some of the best teams in Europe again

FFP is there to protect us all mate, dont worry, I mean its quite normal that City signed a 400m sponsorship, with themselves.

:hayee::hayee::hayee::hayee:

Am I jealous of City?

God damn right I am, do I think its unfair? A little, but we support a club that used to be called The Mersey Millionaires, so im not gonna be that outraged!! United make more money in a month than we do in a year, lifes unfair, instead of crying about how unfair it is, simply be better, spend better, sign better players, get a better manager, simple really.

I can't disagree with any of that to be fair. We are a disgrace for our own set of reasons at the moment.

Yet Leicester won the league only 2 seasons ago (they've just paid their fine for breaching FFP to get out of the championship btw), was that a weak league? Arguably it was depending on your metric. This season the top end have got their act together and it's looking like English clubs will be some of the best teams in Europe again

In the January transfer window you just went and spent 55 million on Laporte when you didn't really need him. You would of spent another 50 million on Mahrez only because Sane was out for a few weeks. Your spending power is obscene and spending power like that will ultimately win the day for the foreseeable unless something can be done to make it fairer.

Its not Citys fault we havent won a trophy for 23 years, its not Citys fault we spunked 300m up the wall in the last 2 years, I know you wasnt saying that, but still, good luck to City, they are living everybodies dream.

Oh I'm certainly not blaming City for our business the last two years. We have totally messed it up. And it all started when our new overlord arrived.

The top 6 who traditionally were regarded as being in the mix for the league title on opening day is now becoming the top 1 or possibly 2
The rest are doing what Arsenal settled for years ago ie a top 4 spot
Once the sheiks don’t get bored City will dominate the league for years to come

I think it's far too early to be saying that, City are having an exceptional season but as I said in another post Leicester won the league only 2 years ago. Guardiola will do 5 years and then be off and also City aren't going to be spending £200m+ every single year as it's simply unsustainable, the transfer fees are amortised over the length of the player's contract so you can frontload spending to a large extent but you can't keep doing it every year.

FWIW there are times when I do wish they would rein it in a bit, I was glad the Sanchez and Mahrez deals fell through but spending big on younger players under 25 makes a lot more sense as theoretically they should retain their value over the length of the contract.

In the January transfer window you just went and spent 55 million on Laporte when you didn't really need him. You would of spent another 50 million on Mahrez only because Sane was out for a few weeks. Your spending power is obscene and spending power like that will ultimately win the day for the foreseeable unless something can be done to make it fairer.

The Laporte signing makes it 4 senior central defenders in the squad along with Stones, Otamendi and Kompany so I'd say he was definitely needed. He's 23 and will be a long term option. Kompany probably has one or two seasons left in him fitness permitting and Tosin Adarabioyo from the academy can hopefully be his eventual replacement.

Re: Mahrez, I'm not going to defend that as I didn't want City to sign him (or Sanchez), there are occasions when the spending is OTT

I think it's far too early to be saying that, City are having an exceptional season but as I said in another post Leicester won the league only 2 years ago. Guardiola will do 5 years and then be off and also City aren't going to be spending £200m+ every single year as it's simply unsustainable, the transfer fees are amortised over the length of the player's contract so you can frontload spending to a large extent but you can't keep doing it every year.

FWIW there are times when I do wish they would rein it in a bit, I was glad the Sanchez and Mahrez deals fell through but spending big on younger players under 25 makes a lot more sense as theoretically they should retain their value over the length of the contract.
I'm not surprised you're on another club's forum trying to justify the credibility of your club's success. It's unearned.

You support an organisation that buys trophies.

You know it, I know it and so does everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back