• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochettino or Solskjaer? United went with Solskjaer - always looked the wrong decision for me.

Irrespective of tonight as I can't blame OGS for that, he had his hands tied by the (fit) players he currently has at his disposal and was playing a top quality side no matter how they performed tonight, this looks a premature appointment to me.

Admittedly Solskjaer has done well, better than could realistically have been expected, but over only three months of a single season compared to much better over several years and tested in only a part of any manger's skill set. He's untested on signings, building a team or being consistently successful over any real length of time. Tbf he just hasn't had the chance to be properly proven.

So although he was far easier to appoint, it's a premature appointment and a massive gamble on a largely unproven manager.

Maybe it's one where United had little choice over, as there were obvious and perhaps unsurmountable obstacles in the way of getting Poch, although apparently he realises his ceiling at Spurs may have already been reached and AC Milan may now get him.

I suspect, although admit I don't have all the facts, that fan pressure and ease of appointment perhaps became a bigger influence than it should have.

A quick appointment to appease the fans and release the pressure valve is easy but there'll be plenty of time to regret it if it goes wrong next season.

Pochettino always looked a safer and more certain bet to me even if it would have been an expensive and more difficult one, I think a club of United's stature should have gone with the more certain bet even if more difficult.

Pochettino or Solskjaer? United went with Solskjaer - always looked the wrong decision for me.

Irrespective of tonight as I can't blame OGS for that, he had his hands tied by the (fit) players he currently has at his disposal and was playing a top quality side no matter how they performed tonight, this looks a premature appointment to me.

Admittedly Solskjaer has done well, better than could realistically have been expected, but over only three months of a single season compared to much better over several years and tested in only a part of any manger's skill set. He's untested on signings, building a team or being consistently successful over any real length of time. Tbf he just hasn't had the chance to be properly proven.

So although he was far easier to appoint, it's a premature appointment and a massive gamble on a largely unproven manager.

Maybe it's one where United had little choice over, as there were obvious and perhaps unsurmountable obstacles in the way of getting Poch, although apparently he realises his ceiling at Spurs may have already been reached and AC Milan may now get him.

I suspect, although admit I don't have all the facts, that fan pressure and ease of appointment perhaps became a bigger influence than it should have.

A quick appointment to appease the fans and release the pressure valve is easy but there'll be plenty of time to regret it if it goes wrong next season.

Pochettino always looked a safer and more certain bet to me even if it would have been an expensive and more difficult one, I think a club of United's stature should have gone with the more certain bet even if more difficult.
Solksjaer was a terrible kneejerk choice.

United must have the worst decision makers in the higher echelons of football.

Imagine a real power house club hiring that balloon after a usual new manager bounce...a gormless looking get who failed at Cardiff?

I hope for them they had a cooling off clause inserted in that contract.

Imagine a real power house club hiring that balloon after a usual new manager bounce...a gormless looking get who failed at Cardiff?

I hope for them they had a cooling off clause in that contract.

Defo some massive clowns in charge of United.

I hope for them they had a cooling off clause inserted in that contract.
I think half the problem is the back seat drivers, Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex lurking in the back ground calling the shots, they look a long way from what they were 10 years ago, like when Souness and Roy Evans were at Liverpool, long way from what they had been a few years earlier

Solskjaer took over the sixth best team in the premier league, a team that had perhaps underperformed but nevertheless was clearly inferior to the the five ahead of it.

United had a decent and prolonged bounce after Mourinho was replaced, one that lasted far longer than normal and achieved some remarkable if fortuitous results within that spell too.

Perhaps now its just a case of such good fortune not smiling on them anymore and results returning to their mean, with them once again showing form consistent with being the sixth best club in the premier league, even if some way short of the five above them.

The squad isn't great, there have been a few enforced changes recently and there is mountains of work to do to transform it, two or three windows possibly.

Solskjaer is a huge gamble imo.

I think half the problem is the back seat drivers, Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex lurking in the back ground calling the shots, they look a long way from what they were 10 years ago, like when Souness and Roy Evans were at Liverpool, long way from what they had been a few years earlier
Kenyon and Gill were savvy. Woodward seems like an utter duffer.

Solskjaer took over the sixth best team in the premier league, a team that had perhaps underperformed but nevertheless was clearly inferior to the the five ahead of it.

United had a decent and prolonged bounce after Mourinho was replaced, one that lasted far longer than normal and achieved some remarkable if fortuitous results within that spell too.

Perhaps now its just a case of such good fortune not smiling on them anymore and results returning to their mean, with them once again showing form consistent with being the sixth best club in the premier league, even if some way short of the five above them.

The squad isn't great, there have been a few enforced changes recently and there is mountains of work to do to transform it, two or three windows possibly.

Solskjaer is a huge gamble imo.
Pretty much this
New managr bounce was better than could have been expected, but OGS aint a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back