Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, imagine how many goals a player like Haaland would score in 1920.

He would be fitter, stronger and just on a different planet to anything on the pitch, he would score 10 a game.
One head of the ball that Dean would launch in would probably send him west. Could Messi play in the mud of the past and getting pole-axed?

That's why I find it almost impossible to compare the top players of each generation because they mastered the game at their time.

I mean, imagine how many goals a player like Haaland would score in 1920.

He would be fitter, stronger and just on a different planet to anything on the pitch, he would score 10 a game.
He also would have been wearing loafers with cleats and kicking a lopsided medicine ball covered in mud.

One head of the ball that Dean would launch in would probably send him west. Could Messi play in the mud of the past and getting pole-axed?

That's why I find it almost impossible to compare the top players of each generation because they mastered the game at their time.
You take top players of past generations, and transplant them into today's game, train them up to the fitness levels, etc., and tell me they would be not up to it? Pele, Eusebio, Best, Maradona, Cruyff, and (dare I say it) a goalscoring machine like Ian Rush would not be equal to, or better, than those playing today? Of course they would! They would all make monkeys out of today's modern midfielders and defenders...

You take top players of past generations, and transplant them into today's game, train them up to the fitness levels, etc., and tell me they would be not up to it? Pele, Eusebio, Best, Maradona, Cruyff, and (dare I say it) a goalscoring machine like Ian Rush would not be equal to, or better, than those playing today? Of course they would! They would all make monkeys out of today's modern midfielders and defenders...
But wouldnt you then have Rush, spits, against Baresi?

They have less of a chance of getting mutilated but no the game is harder now
If by that you mean physically harder, then I suspect you have never heard of, or seen, the likes of Dave Mackay, Peter Storey, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Billy Bremner, Nobby Stiles, Chris Curtis, Graeme Souness. And the players are harder now than the likes of Vinnie Jones and Andy Gray? You're havin' a laugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back