Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones, Walker, Bellingham, Saka and Kane are Englands only world class players IMO. Foden is probably almost there but still has a bit to do for me. Central midfield options are pretty average IMO even Rice. Mainoo is good but still very raw. There aren’t many established options to displace Maguire yet.

How many England players get in the France team? For me Kane, Bellingham, Walker and maybe Stones at a push

I really think the criticism is way OTT. Apart from the final against Italy I don’t think we’ve done anything we shouldn’t have. 2018 and 2022 we were knocked out by better teams. Italy is definitely a regret but that was a very young and inexperienced team against a team that was 30 odd matches unbeaten and had been the best team at that tournament

Stones, Walker, Bellingham, Saka and Kane are Englands only world class players IMO. Foden is probably almost there but still has a bit to do for me. Central midfield options are pretty average IMO even Rice. Mainoo is good but still very raw. There aren’t many established options to displace Maguire yet.

How many England players get in the France team? For me Kane, Bellingham, Walker and maybe Stones at a push

I really think the criticism is way OTT. Apart from the final against Italy I don’t think we’ve done anything we shouldn’t have. 2018 and 2022 we were knocked out by better teams. Italy is definitely a regret but that was a very young and inexperienced team against a team that was 30 odd matches unbeaten and had been the best team at that tournament

No it wasn’t at all? Where have you got that from? If you’re referring to the penalty takers then it was the manager’s decision to have Sancho and Saka taking the decisive kicks.

Rice is far from “average”, that’s an abysmal take, he’s been arguably the Premier League player of the season. And you’ve basically just said we “only” have 5 world class players, which is more than 99.9% of other international teams (Foden is also world class and is proving it for his club).

He’s an appalling manager and his career will reflect as such. Happy to revisit this conversation further down the line.

No it wasn’t at all? Where have you got that from? If you’re referring to the penalty takers then it was the manager’s decision to have Sancho and Saka taking the decisive kicks.

Rice is far from “average”, that’s an abysmal take, he’s been arguably the Premier League player of the season. And you’ve basically just said we “only” have 5 world class players, which is more than 99.9% of other international teams (Foden is also world class and is proving it for his club).

He’s an appalling manager and his career will reflect as such. Happy to revisit this conversation further down the line.
Badly worded about Rice, what I meant was he is not a midfielder who can dictate games from deep. He doesn’t do that for Arsenal, he has Jorginho next to him. He’s not someone who picks up the ball off the back 4 and plays through a press.

Foden has had his best season so far this year but has yet to perform for England the way he does for his club. Bellingham, Saka and Kane all do that.

I don’t know what point you’re making about the penalty takers. I was saying that the Italy game for me was the only tournament exit where you can say managerial mistakes were an issue. In 2018 and 2022 we were simply beaten by better teams.

I also don’t think Southgate is an elite manager but the point I was making is a lot of the criticism is OTT for me

What are you talking about? Lovely assist for the goal.

Took my grandson last night so he could see his hero Jordan Pickford. It was his first visit to Wembley so, despite the score, we had a great night.
Fantastic that you took your grandson to Wembley for the first time. My first time was in 1966 for the Everton v Sheff Wed Cup Final! I was 15 at the time.

And we need your lads to do us a solid next Saturday against Nottingham Forest...

Badly worded about Rice, what I meant was he is not a midfielder who can dictate games from deep. He doesn’t do that for Arsenal, he has Jorginho next to him. He’s not someone who picks up the ball off the back 4 and plays through a press.

Foden has had his best season so far this year but has yet to perform for England the way he does for his club. Bellingham, Saka and Kane all do that.

I don’t know what point you’re making about the penalty takers. I was saying that the Italy game for me was the only tournament exit where you can say managerial mistakes were an issue. In 2018 and 2022 we were simply beaten by better teams.

Mate not wanting to sound rude but have you watched Arsenal? That’s exactly what Rice does. Jorginho has only started 10 games all season. Rice has more often than not played in a midfield with Odegaard and Havertz and has been the deepest in there.

Why do you think Foden doesn’t perform for England? Genuinely, can you think of a reason why that might be? Yet performs every single week for Man City and is also in contention for player of the season? The manager does not have a clue how to use a player like Foden. Bellingham will be the same, you watch, he won’t give these players the free role that they need to flourish.

The point you made was that the team in 2021 was young and inexperienced, but it just wasn’t at all. Here’s the team that started that game and the rest of the tournament.

IMG_6728.jpeg

Who exactly was young and inexperienced there?

Mate not wanting to sound rude but have you watched Arsenal? That’s exactly what Rice does. Jorginho has only started 10 games all season. Rice has more often than not played in a midfield with Odegaard and Havertz and has been the deepest in there.

Why do you think Foden doesn’t perform for England? Genuinely, can you think of a reason why that might be? Yet performs every single week for Man City and is also in contention for player of the season? The manager does not have a clue how to use a player like Foden. Bellingham will be the same, you watch, he won’t give these players the free role that they need to flourish.

The point you made was that the team in 2021 was young and inexperienced, but it just wasn’t at all. Here’s the team that started that game and the rest of the tournament.

View attachment 249898

Who exactly was young and inexperienced there?
TBF I’ve barely watched any English club football since January lol

But before that I seem to remember Rice playing more as an 8 and getting forward more than just sitting. But happy to hold my hands up if wrong.

Re Foden, yes it could be down to the manager that he doesn’t perform for England like he does for his club. But like I said Saka, Bellingham and Kane have been brilliant in that time so I think perhaps a little unfair to totally blame the manager that Foden hasn’t got going yet.

I stand corrected on the 2021 final team but that was a very different context to, say, the 2018 semi final. Expectations and pressure were through the roof. First final in 50 odd years on home soil. And you can argue there were not hardened pros in that team who could lead them through high pressure situations. Italy had the likes of Bonucci and Chiellini for example. But like I said I accept that Southgate should’ve done better in that game, but I just don’t think it’s the spectacular failure some make it out to be

TBF I’ve barely watched any English club football since January lol

But before that I seem to remember Rice playing more as an 8 and getting forward more than just sitting. But happy to hold my hands up if wrong.

Re Foden, yes it could be down to the manager that he doesn’t perform for England like he does for his club. But like I said Saka, Bellingham and Kane have been brilliant in that time so I think perhaps a little unfair to totally blame the manager that Foden hasn’t got going yet.

I stand corrected on the 2021 final team but that was a very different context to, say, the 2018 semi final. Expectations and pressure were through the roof. First final in 50 odd years on home soil. And you can argue there were not hardened pros in that team who could lead them through high pressure situations. Italy had the likes of Bonucci and Chiellini for example. But like I said I accept that Southgate should’ve done better in that game, but I just don’t think it’s the spectacular failure some make it out to be
Foden is Foden.

Pep gets the best out of him cos hes a really good manager and coaches him properly, Southgate isnt a good manager and I doubt Foden even respects him.

A good manager wins the euros thats a fact

Southgate is such low level is shocking hes even the manager

Hodgson
Allerdyce
Southgate

Proper low level managers

1711304408244.webp
This is the current top 10 of the Fifa rankings. How many times have we beaten other members of the top 10 in the last 6 years?

A good manager wins the euros thats a fact

Southgate is such low level is shocking hes even the manager

Hodgson
Allerdyce
Southgate

Proper low level managers
It’s a one of knockout tournament and they don’t have overwhelming talent. Sometimes you just don’t win on the day. I think acting like they should win it is misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back