Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times had we beaten them prior to the last 6 years?
Yes, but we're lauding not only this team but also Southgate as one of the most successful managers we've ever had. I would contend that he's largely been a lucky manager and has progressed in tournaments due to favourable draws, before losing to the first decent team he faced.

Look at how we perform in the Nations League, where most of the opposition are in and around the top 10. It's dreadful. In 18 games, they've won 5, with 2 of those against Iceland. Against Spain, Germany, Belgium, and Italy, they've played 8, won 2.

Taking the youngest for his first trip to Wembley on Tuesday, looking forward to the pre match world buffet place more than I am watching a Southgate team.

I will brief the boy over dinner on how to effectively rip out a stadium seat and the correct trajectory to throw it at to cause maximum damage.
Get the wife to pack the chain mail.

Fantastic that you took your grandson to Wembley for the first time. My first time was in 1966 for the Everton v Sheff Wed Cup Final! I was 15 at the time.

And we need your lads to do us a solid next Saturday against Nottingham Forest...
My first time was December 1967 England v USSR. 2-2 on a snowy pitch. First goal scored by Alan Ball.
A win at Forest ought to ease our own last relegation worries so fingers crossed.

Yes, but we're lauding not only this team but also Southgate as one of the most successful managers we've ever had. I would contend that he's largely been a lucky manager and has progressed in tournaments due to favourable draws, before losing to the first decent team he faced.

Look at how we perform in the Nations League, where most of the opposition are in and around the top 10. It's dreadful. In 18 games, they've won 5, with 2 of those against Iceland. Against Spain, Germany, Belgium, and Italy, they've played 8, won 2.
Haha the nations league is completely meaningless. Southgate is one of England's most successful managers but that speaks more for the paucity of previous managers rather than his own ability. All England managers bar Venables in 96 and Ramsey in 66 have lost against the first decent team they've faced

Haha the nations league is completely meaningless. Southgate is one of England's most successful managers but that speaks more for the paucity of previous managers rather than his own ability. All England managers bar Venables in 96 and Ramsey in 66 have lost against the first decent team they've faced
Little harsh on Robson?

It says a lot about how bad the previous managers were and also how unbelievably fortunate his tournament draws have been, but not sure it says anything at all about his abilities as a manager. As I’ve said previously the quality of our individual players has seen us through tournaments. If Hodgson had been given the same set of players and the same tournament draws I have no doubt he’d have achieved exactly what Southgate has.

It says a lot about how bad the previous managers were and also how unbelievably fortunate his tournament draws have been, but not sure it says anything at all about his abilities as a manager. As I’ve said previously the quality of our individual players has seen us through tournaments. If Hodgson had been given the same set of players and the same tournament draws I have no doubt he’d have achieved exactly what Southgate has.
Haha I completely disagree on the last sentence. 2016 under Southgate we don't lose to Iceland and we probably would've won our group too.
But re the rest we're kind of saying the same thing. Venables and Ramsey are the only ones who got far despite not having easy draws.

I'm just saying that the so-called Golden Generation went out to Brazil and Portugal (twice). I suspect had Southgate's team played either opponent at the quarter final stage of their respective tournaments they would also have lost and we wouldn't be talking about him in superlatives.

Haha I completely disagree on the last sentence. 2016 under Southgate we don't lose to Iceland and we probably would've won our group too.
But re the rest we're kind of saying the same thing. Venables and Ramsey are the only ones who got far despite not having easy draws.
And even then, if we assume penalties are something of a lottery, the "golden generation" lost twice on penalties, whereas Venables obviously won against Spain before losing against Germany (also, it should be noted, because of Southgate).

There is a fair bit of luck involved in who is regarded as "great" and who isn't.

And even then, if we assume penalties are something of a lottery, the "golden generation" lost twice on penalties, whereas Venables obviously won against Spain before losing against Germany (also, it should be noted, because of Southgate).

There is a fair bit of luck involved in who is regarded as "great" and who isn't.
That spoon shot off Parker, that blind referee to that handball.

2016 we had a fat wheezing Rooney, Adam Lallana, Gary Cahill and a joke of a goalkeeper in Joe Hart. Not Bellingham, Foden, Saka and the plethora of bench options we’ve had for the past 4 years. Southgate would not have done anything with that squad. I think if you gave Hodgson the Euro 2021 and World Cup 2022 squads and the same tournament draws there’s no way he does any worse than Southgate did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back