Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the best player on the field last night and he’s 21. I think he’ll be alright.

Fwiw I’m a big MGW fan so competing with him for minutes isn’t the end of the world.

Its either him or Balogun that stands out for you id guess?

Not sure why Reyna would choose forest if hes competing with MGW. Odd move.

Its either him or Balogun that stands out for you id guess?

Not sure why Reyna would choose forest if hes competing with MGW. Odd move.
I still remember the US team from 2018 so they all stand out. This team is legit talented for us, more so than any team we’ve ever had, and it’s frustrating to have a joke manager in charge going into a home World Cup.

Well no but it is in my lifetime (born 1992)

Euro 04 runs it close in terms of starting XI but I think this squad has far better depth.
96 is in your lifetime then. 04 and 06 much better starting XI than current IMO, apart from GK I think. Even an argument for 02 too I think

Hell, even Euro 2000. Abysmal performance thanks to the manager, but a very talented squad IMO:

Goalkeepers: David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Richard Wright
Defenders: Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Gareth Southgate, Gareth Barry
Midfielders: David Beckham, Dennis Wise, Paul Ince, Nicky Barmby, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman
Strikers: Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Kevin Phillips, Robbie Fowler.

96 is in your lifetime then. 04 and 06 much better starting XI than current IMO, apart from GK I think. Even an argument for 02 too I think

This squad is far better than 96 in my opinion. Same for 2002, we had Danny Mills, Nicky Butt and Trevor Sinclair starting for us at that World Cup. It isn’t even remotely close.

I think 04-06 and this squad are close, I don’t know how you could say that team was “much better”. We also had Darius Vassell coming off the bench, and David James/Paul Robinson in goal. Nostalgia really does funny things to people.

Hell, even Euro 2000. Abysmal performance thanks to the manager, but a very talented squad IMO:

Goalkeepers: David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, Richard Wright
Defenders: Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Martin Keown, Gareth Southgate, Gareth Barry
Midfielders: David Beckham, Dennis Wise, Paul Ince, Nicky Barmby, Paul Scholes, Steven Gerrard, Steve McManaman
Strikers: Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Kevin Phillips, Robbie Fowler.

Very average for me that. Sorry. Beckham, Scholes and Shearer the only players there that could be considered top class at that time. A lot of youngsters and finished players in there. Again, nostalgia and probably the need to defend Southgate are the only reasons you could possibly have to suggest that squad is better than this one.

This squad is far better than 96 in my opinion. Same for 2002, we had Danny Mills, Nicky Butt and Trevor Sinclair starting for us at that World Cup. It isn’t even remotely close.

I think 04-06 and this squad are close, I don’t know how you could say that team was “much better”. We also had Darius Vassell coming off the bench, and David James/Paul Robinson in goal. Nostalgia really does funny things to people.
I literally mentioned the GK in my post. The likes of Maguire and Henderson get nowhere near any of those squads IMO. For 2002 Nicky Butt was a good player who would get in the current team next to Rice no problem. . Sinclair and Mills were in due to injuries to Gary Neville and I think Gerrard IIRC.

04-06 you had genuine top class players in every position except GK, and of those Cole, Campbell, Ferdinand, possibly Terry, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney were world class. G Neville was not world class but a very good international level player. That is more world class talent than the current squad. Although yes having Vassell as a back up CF is not good

96 - again, no place for Maguire and Henderson. The central midfield and centre backs from 96 get in the current team easily. Lots of depth at centre forward that we currently don't have, lots of good attacking midfielders. You were only 4 then so you probably don't remember it well. Likewise 2000 at 8 you probably can't remember much.

I literally mentioned the GK in my post. The likes of Maguire and Henderson get nowhere near any of those squads IMO. For 2002 Nicky Butt was a good player who would get in the current team next to Rice no problem. . Sinclair and Mills were in due to injuries to Gary Neville and I think Gerrard IIRC.

04-06 you had genuine top class players in every position except GK, and of those Cole, Campbell, Ferdinand, possibly Terry, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney were world class. G Neville was not world class but a very good international level player. That is more world class talent than the current squad. Although yes having Vassell as a back up CF is not good

96 - again, no place for Maguire and Henderson. The central midfield and centre backs from 96 get in the current team easily. Lots of depth at centre forward that we currently don't have, lots of good attacking midfielders. You were only 4 then so you probably don't remember it well. Likewise 2000 at 8 you probably can't remember much.

Maguire and Henderson only get in the squad because the manager is an idiot though lol that’s the whole premise of the point I’m making. That’s not an argument at all, because Maguire or Henderson wouldn’t get near this squad either under a competent manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back