Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a centre back myself in my playing days I kind of agree with you, but that Romero challenge was dirty, the natural momentum may have caused a clash without a doubt but the action of raising his foot is purposeful in my opinion
I still don't see how someone can suddenly come to a full stop when they are moving. Not physically possible.

I still don't see how someone can suddenly come to a full stop when they are moving. Not physically possible.
Yeah but this guy has form for it. Is that 7 times he's now been sent off and the last couple I have seen have been just as dirty? If you've played the game you'll be aware of the "play the ball take the man" as was employed by Bremner, Souness, Case, McKay, Charlton and a whole host of others in years gone by. Thankfully, skilled players are protected now and opponents have to consider what they are doing before they do it. I've no doubt he meant that and deserved the red.

It's not. But he's not just gone for the ball for that to happen.

It's ball, man, anything in the way. And just happens to go ankle high.

If his foot was along the ground without his studs up with he same force...then he's still on the pitch

I agree with you …. But the action of raising his foot was deliberate, you know as a player at any level when you’re gonna leave one on a player… and in my opinion that’s what Romero has done there, knew exactly what he was doing

I agree with you …. But the action of raising his foot was deliberate, you know as a player at any level when you’re gonna leave one on a player… and in my opinion that’s what Romero has done there, knew exactly what he was doing
That's how I took it too. He has decided to take the ball and the player. That Udogie didn't even try to win the ball with his karate lunge.

Yeah but this guy has form for it. Is that 7 times he's now been sent off and the last couple I have seen have been just as dirty? If you've played the game you'll be aware of the "play the ball take the man" as was employed by Bremner, Souness, Case, McKay, Charlton and a whole host of others in years gone by. Thankfully, skilled players are protected now and opponents have to consider what they are doing before they do it. I've no doubt he meant that and deserved the red.
Yeah, the guy has form, I agree. I'm old enough (started watching Everton from around 1957 onwards) to have seen all those you mention, and I'd add Curtis of Coventry and Storey of Arsenal to those thugs. As an attacking player, I was well aware of 'play the ball, take the man' in my days of playing for Brunswick Boys Club, and then Stoneycroft in the I Zingari First division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back