• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

The Premier League’s head of refereeing, Mike Riley, said the decision to change the guidance on penalties followed conversations with top‑flight clubs and players, all of whom wanted spot-kicks awarded only for “proper fouls”. It also comes after a record 125 penalties were awarded in the top flight last season.

“Referees will look for contact and establish clear contact, then ask themselves the question: does that contact have a consequence?” Riley said. “They will then ask themselves a question: has the player used that contact to actually try and win a foul penalty? So it’s not sufficient just to say: ‘Yes, there’s contact.’

“I think that the feedback we’ve had from players, both attackers and defenders, [is that] you want it to be a proper foul that has a consequence, not something that somebody has used slight to contact to go over, and we’ve given the penalty to reward it.”

Jota's bacially felt the contact, carried on as it didnt foul him then thought "i know, i was touched so ill go down" .

Neville then talks about how there was contact and he went down, at which point the qualified referee bnext him didn't say a word about how that contact didn't lead to the conesqunce of actually fouling Jota.

This might get interesting. Seems to be a lot of voices like the above immediately calling this out. Maybe Operation Rug Sweep won't work this time and they actually might have to make an example of Jota.

Guarantee nothing will be done to Jota about that, absolutely nothing.

Proper striker Ian Wright calling it spot on, a fudging joke that.

The PL is looking more and more like WWF these days. It's all about entertainment value and less about sport.

Sooner we're out of it one way or another the better for me. Be it leaving to some kind of super league or the season we eventually drop out.

I get little enjoyment watching PL football these days even when we win a game. Its all scripted to keep a few teams at the top. Serie A levels of corruption but nothing is ever said about it.

Premier league is basically the Truman show. Apart from Everton, don’t bother tuning in anymore. The soul of the game has been took out of it. Just seen the goals on twitter and can guarantee, Sky will role out Carragher and Neville to brush it under the carpet and make a case for how them two players were touched. People need to wake up to Sky and the premier league. The foreign commentary on the fire sticks are levels above Sky anyways.

Doesn’t help when you’ve got Klopp bouncing up and down the touch line acting like Hulk Hogan.
The PL and Sky love all that whoppers histrionics on the touchline, his turning away for a pen, the constant kicking off at the officials over every single decision - they feed his warped ego and he thrives in this bent competition.

Sooner we're out of it one way or another the better for me. Be it leaving to some kind of super league or the season we eventually drop out.

I get little enjoyment watching PL football these days even when we win a game. Its all scripted to keep a few times at the top. Serie A levels of corruption but nothing is ever said about it.

no let them all go to a super league

Premier league is basically the Truman show. Apart from Everton, don’t bother tuning in anymore. The soul of the game has been took out of it. Just seen the goals on twitter and can guarantee, Sky will role out Carragher and Neville to brush it under the carpet and make a case for how them two players were touched. People need to wake up to Sky and the premier league. The foreign commentary on the fire sticks are levels above Sky anyways.
Drury was really gettin on my wick tonight, he’s found Martin Tyler’s pills alright - never heard him so biased for the RS before.

They won’t. Ref gave a pen, VAR checked it and agreed with the ref.

Most Newcastle are getting is an apology from the PMGOL, and I’ll be surprised if they even get that. They’ll pull out some “letter of the law” bullshit like they did over Onanas handball the other day to hide their incompetence.

Incompetence doesn't come into that decision.

It is one of two things IMHO - firstly, it is either taking the letter of the law to an absurd place; that because Taylor saw him go down three steps after the "contact" and gave the penalty that because that is what the replay showed it is not "a clear and obvious error" because there is nothing in it that differs from what he would have said he saw.

The alternative is that they were given that penalty for non-sporting reasons.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back