• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

My first thought would be that they would check that first, I don't think they even bothered
They will hitch not correcting the on field decision due to the clear and obvious nonsense, it’s there get out of jail card for all the dodgy crap corrupt calls the refs and var have made.

VAR needs scrapping in its current format,but it’s working exactly how they want it to - legalised match fixing.

Incompetence doesn't come into that decision.

It is one of two things IMHO - firstly, it is either taking the letter of the law to an absurd place; that because Taylor saw him go down three steps after the "contact" and gave the penalty that because that is what the replay showed it is not "a clear and obvious error" because there is nothing in it that differs from what he would have said he saw.

The alternative is that they were given that penalty for non-sporting reasons.
I won’t go as far as using the words fixed, or corrupt, that’s all a bit tinfoil for me personally, but I do believe certain teams get given decisions that others wouldn’t because the ref knows in the back of his mind it will get scrutinised more.

The Spurs offside being a perfect example, shocking bit of officiating obviously. But we had people in the media and their players and manager talking about replays and everything for weeks after. That kind of scrutiny only comes from decisions against a handful of teams.

If that was us, or a Villa or Newcastle, it’s not mentioned again after post match analysis.

I won’t go as far as using the words fixed, or corrupt, that’s all a bit tinfoil for me personally, but I do believe certain teams get given decisions that others wouldn’t because the ref knows in the back of his mind it will get scrutinised more.

The Spurs offside being a perfect example, shocking bit of officiating obviously. But we had people in the media and their players and manager talking about replays and everything. That kind of scrutiny only comes from decisions against a handful of teams.

If that was us, or a Villa or Newcastle, it’s not mentioned again after pre match analysis.

The Spurs one is a great example of why the system is so open to corruption potentially (if it isn't already) - I mean, that was clearly a mistake that occurred for reasons that can be examined and understood. That is what a mistaken decision looks like, and things were put in place to fix it.

Things like this on the other hand have happened repeatedly since VAR was introduced, with the laws of the game either ignored, or interpreted in ways that are not in keeping with the spirit in which they were written, or especially that are wildly inconsistent with decisions made by Stockley Park (often the same people) days or weeks previously. That Jota penalty tonight was clearly a dive; Onana's handball against City was clearly not intentional; Siggy was clearly not interfering with play when DCL scored that injury time winner against United.

VAR was advertised as improving the standard of decision making in games. It has obviously failed at that, and yet the refusal of the FA to improve it - in contrast with what happened after the Spurs game - strongly suggests to me that the ambiguity it brings is what the FA want.

I'm speechless really two blatant dives. Not one but two penalties! VAR couldn't be more fraudulent.

The only thing I can take from it is i'm glad it wasn't us I know we've been on the receiving end frequently but the barcodes must be seething. Not that I give two hoots but it will be interesting to see what they say and what their fans take on it is.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back