• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

I can absolutely guarantee that RS have a diving coach. Someone whose only job is to gain advantages by cheating.

Sure it's the actual GB Swimming Coach who led our National Synchronised Swimming team. Put them two dives on a split screen and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart..perfect 10's.
They both go down after the event, in a stop/ start motion, perfectly Synchronised, both turn looking right at the ref, whilst screaming with arms up and pained expressions on their faces....then the crowd join in with the Sky commentary team for effect. Perfect 10's all around.

It's so weird listening to commentators with comments like, "he earned that penalty", "he was clever there", "he had the right to go down". Players are clearly coached on how to go down these days, but I wonder when it became the norm that buying a foul was more of an achievement than avoiding one and how many of the goals perceived as the finest from days gone by we'd never have seen (George Best's for instance) had the players been coached to fall at the merest touch and the officials had been thick enough to buy them as they are today.

It's so weird listening to commentators with comments like, "he earned that penalty", "he was clever there", "he had the right to go down". Players are clearly coached on how to go down these days, but I wonder when it became the norm that buying a foul was more of an achievement than avoiding one and how many of the goals perceived as the finest from days gone by we'd never have seen (George Best's for instance) had the players been coached to fall at the merest touch and the officials had been thick enough to buy them as they are today.

Commentators today are all about being edgy and that instead of doing their job of describing what's happening, so they try and impart this footballing wisdom on the audience who they treat like idiots, catering to the lowest common denominator.
I think it's partly down to the lack of decent pundits. The best one I've heard recently is that Emma Haynes/Hayes. She was on it, but we have to put up with the likes of Hinchcliffe etc droning on about minor ineffectual events and making them out to be major so he look like hes not stealing a living, they buy into stereotypes about clubs/players and fanbases. And as fans watching your listening to them thinking is this bell even watching this match?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back