Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
A squad player is there to fill in for a first teamer if they go down with an injury/suspension. They don't have to be better than the first team player

In an ideal universe, the ultimate goal is for a younger player, ideally from your own youth set up, to replace the first teamer, at which point the first teamer becomes the squad player and the squad player gets moved on

Think the model the top teams use is slightly different to that though mate, they upgrade the starter and the old one then becomes surplus as a squad player (their value is too high) so they promote the younger player up to be the squad one (increasing their value in the bargain by getting them more time) and the old starter then gets sold

See what United will do with Mata as a classic case, Mikki comes in to start, Mata gets sold, will be the same if they bring in a top quality centre mid as well and Schneiderlin will be sold

IF the starter is old like say Carrick, Barry etc then yeah they may do a back up role for a bit, due to not having any significant resale value

Say for example we buy Witsel and Strootman/whoever, then we will have an overload on players in the centre

McCarthy and Barry go from first team starters to squad players, the old squad players then get pushed back further (Besic and Cleverley) and Davies and Dowell have more in front of them, which is exactly the type of situation you want to avoid if you wish to bring ANY youth through

In that situation you'd want to sell the most highest price backups (if you judge them all to be around similar level of ability) so for us - sell McCarthy and possibly Cleverley would be the logical and from a business sense the wise move, then Barry and Besic become the squad players and we have two young lads behind them, with a better level of starting player - we have more opportunity to blood a young player now and again as they can to a degree be protected/carried a little bit by the quality player around them, then when Barry hangs his boots up in a season or two you have the spot for a young academy lad who has gotten experience to naturally take that squad position etc

My favourite thing on GOT in Mikey being an SJW for those downtrodden professional footballers being called names on the Internet. If I had a daughter I'd want her to end up with someone like him, he's a cracking fella.
Absolutely crackers but nice.

My favourite thing on GOT in Mikey being an SJW for those downtrodden professional footballers being called names on the Internet. If I had a daughter I'd want her to end up with someone like him, he's a cracking fella.
Absolutely crackers but nice.

I have 2 daughters, Mikeys a nice lad, but if he goes near either of them I will chop body parts off him.

I have 2 daughters, Mikeys a nice lad, but if he goes near either of them I will chop body parts off him.

I have a son mate, now for 18 camels do we have an arranged marriage sorted for 16 years time when he turns 18?

Edit: for a moment thought we where on what i imagine an Arabian/Indian united/rs message board would be like...

Brazzers.

My thought when goat originally said that wa s- yeah like most 18yo lads would deffo knock back a 32yo lass wouldn't they

But then thought he may one day find me and kill me and thought better of saying it

then typed this out which makes not saying it originally pointless

Oh ffs

Sorry Goat, love ya mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back