Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably gets in my first choice XI, certainly ahead of Naismith and Kone. Him on one side, Deulofeu on the other, with Mirallas and Lennon on the bench to change the game. We don't play two wingers, so if we have to have one who isn't, I'd rather it was Tom. He's put some clever crosses in so far, we've just not scored from them.
Particularly when Baines is back, looked like they were forming a very good partnership as Leighton prefers a player that will interchange quick passes with him to move swiftly up the field.

Particularly when Baines is back, looked like they were forming a very good partnership as Leighton prefers a player that will interchange quick passes with him to move swiftly up the field.

Its tough for the other flank because you look at Coleman and Lennon and think yeh, that's as good as Baines and Cleverley. But then you realise how criminal it is to have neither Mirallas or Deulofeu in the team.

Its tough for the other flank because you look at Coleman and Lennon and think yeh, that's as good as Baines and Cleverley. But then you realise how criminal it is to have neither Mirallas or Deulofeu in the team.
I suppose it depends on the opponents - Coleman/Lennon & Baines/Cleverley likely to be the best defensively whilst other combinations using Deulofeu and/or Mirallas when we can be more attacking. Naimsith and Galloway seemed to link up nicely as well and think Mirallas might work out best on the left partnered with Oviedo.

Good thing is we seem to be developing options that can make us less predictable to opponents and help cover for injuries/suspensions.

There's no reason we can't have two wingers starting. Happened a lot in 13/14 to great success.

Martinez is turning more and more into one sub moyes

Martinez is turning more and more into one sub moyes
tumblr_neuscwLzHx1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Agree completely with @LinekersLegs and think I've said it before. Reckon cleverley and baines will form an excellent partnership down the left if they get a run of games together there - was one of the things I was most excited for about the season. Their playstyles just dovetail perfectly.

after years of watching pienaar/baines i think as a fan base we know better than most its not always all about pace and stepovers! im sure bainesy would prefer tom infront of him than say mirallas. but we defintely need at least one lennon/kev/del in the team. and one coming off the bench aswell imo

after years of watching pienaar/baines i think as a fan base we know better than most its not always all about pace and stepovers! im sure bainesy would prefer tom infront of him than say mirallas. but we defintely need at least one lennon/kev/del in the team. and one coming off the bench aswell imo

He does seem to be a like for like replacement for Pienaar. Clever passes which are often the pass before the assist ala Modric. Good movement, always looking to receive the ball and play us further up the pitch. I like the lad a lot.

Agree most definitely with the shouts that he and Baines could form a decent partnership down the left hand side. Whilst i dont think he is as creative as Pienaar was in his prime, his play style and the way he likes to cut inside to create space for the overlap is exactly the same as what Pienaar done.

Looking forward to having him back, whilst we've played well since he's been injured, i think he'll give us that edge when he returns.

when he comes back he can compete for cm / fill in where needed

but we dont need another player playing out of position on the wing, now that all our wingers are fully fit.

when he comes back he can compete for cm / fill in where needed

but we dont need another player playing out of position on the wing, now that all our wingers are fully fit.

Except, you know, that's where he played in his breakout season with Martinez before, and it's not 'on the wing', and a player doesn't have to be foreign and speedy to play wide midfield, and, and, oh god do we really need to have this discussion again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back