Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is actually fully true.

They are both competing for the midfield spots, yes, but when you look at the kind of players they are, I'd say it's more like:

Davies/Gana

and one of

Schneiderlin/Gomes

Davies replaced Schneiderlin because of necessity. I'm pretty sure if Gomes was fit, he'd be the player replacing Schneiderlin.

That being said, all of our midfielders need to be capable of getting on the ball at times, but it's fair to say that Davies and Schneiderlin aren't exactly the same types of player.
Theoretically yes, but in practice they're competing for the same role, as evidenced by Saturday.

One thing I don't think there can be an argument on though, is at the weekend there was a massive improvement in his defensive discipline. The number of tackles and interceptions he made were about 4-5 times higher than his previous average and will be amongst the highest in the league. To me thats a reflection of some of the basics that he's getting on the coaching field from Silva. If he keeps posting those numbers, he will be a very competent player in a 2 man pivot. It will give him a great platform to do his positive work going forward. Most importantly, given his age it;s unlikely the improvement will stop there. So we should be excited about that.

This is a great point. I thought our press was far worse when he came on after Morgan was injured, but he was much better against Bournemouth. I hope you're right and we can attribute that to Silva. If that's the case than we maybe we will finally see games where he matches that Man City performance. But until then it'll still be "Man City was a long time ago" from a lot of fans.

Look at what most midfielders were doing at 20. Very few central midfielders were doing what Davies does. The closest competitor he seems to have is Cook, who's 18 months older and in truth looked an inferior player. Likewise Brooks who's another talented player around the same age is getting game time on the right wing and again was a peripheral figure on Saturday.

I have no problem with criticism of Davies, but it does have to be grounded in reality.

Good post

He wasn't, he was marking a zone, in which the tallest person on the pitch happened to be. As said player scored with his feet though, i'm not sure what difference it makes.
I 100% agree.... and so, the issue with the goal was that we are converting to zone marking at corners and set pieces and the players are struggling to get used to it. That's not Davies fault is it? Much older heads are struggling with this change! imagine defending all your life by marking a man and then being told to mark a space????? its a tough transition as evidenced by the RS.
Hanging that goal on Davies is ridiculous!

Maybe no one else who can afford his wages wants him?

Not sure he'd start in virtually any other Premier League side's midfield

How is that a stick to beat him with?
How many 20 year olds are regular starters in central midfield in the premier league?
When everyone is fit, he wont start, which is about right for someone of his age, when he's hitting 22-23 is when he should be looking at starting every week

I joke on here and call him awful etc. but to me it’s pretty simple that he was thrown in the deep end due to no other options, he overachieved and now that has gone against him as fans expect him to be consistently performing to a high level. At the age of 20.

People say players don’t read the forums etc. It’s 2018 ffs, of course some of them will do from time. It’s not exactly hard to use a smartphone. I appreciate there is some irony there as mentioned above. Football forums and social media are such a huge part of people’s lives now that online discussions are bound to continue in the real world. I also think that there’s an element of jealousy to the hatred. He posts a photo of himself wearing perhaps unusual clothing and the North Face/Berghaus clad army go mad calling him every name under the sun

I would honestly be looking to leave if I was Tom. The pressure he is coming under is too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back