2021/22 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any links to where he's cost us goals (see Keane) ?
I didn't say that. He's a liability in a sense of pointless yellows usually early on. Needless fouls, gives the ball away.

I'm pretty someone could name situations where his errors and poor play have lead to opposition goals or chances

Someone people just want to support him because he's a local lad. Which I get but just wake up. He isn't good enough, never will be.

I'd love to be proven wrong but it'll be a cold day in hell

Two times I can think of.

That awful Newcastle game where we gave up two goals in stoppage time. One of them came off him snd Digne (but mostly him) messing around with the ball and coughing it up.

And losing to Burnley at home last season, the game where McNeil scored the golazo. Not sure if it was that goal or another, one of the Burnley attackers just shoulder barged him off the ball in our own third and the goal followed.

I am a huge Davies fanboy, I even have his name/number on the back of one of my kits, but I see his weaknesses and his biggest problem is that he’s too slight, can be muscled aside. If he had 15 more pounds he’d be a physical presence who could defend and attack with strength like a Doucoure. Of course if my aunt had wheels she’d be a bicycle.
Wasn't that our Brazilian midfield wizard who was sold a pup v Burnley.

2 against Newcastle last year for one
So in all the seasons under all the different managers and all the different positions that's the best you can come up with? Micheal Keane laughs in your face,he can do better in two games out of our first three.

I didn't say that. He's a liability in a sense of pointless yellows usually early on. Needless fouls, gives the ball away.

I'm pretty someone could name situations where his errors and poor play have lead to opposition goals or chances

Someone people just want to support him because he's a local lad. Which I get but just wake up. He isn't good enough, never will be.

I'd love to be proven wrong but it'll be a cold day in hell
Another poster has found two,in how many seasons? Our flavour of the month England keeper is laughing up his sleeve.

I think it's worth assessing Davies as part of the wider group of players we have who (in theory at least) can play in central midfield. Apart from Allan and Doucoure, do we have ANYONE we genuinely want to keep for than another season?

1) Gbamin. Always injured. With youth on his side however, he has time left to resurrect his career and maybe become an important part of the squad.

Verdict: keep.

2) Delph. Always injured. Never been fit enough for long enough to show what he can do. Does not have youth on his side. Is on a hefty wage.

Verdict: sell.

3) Gomes. A shadow of the player he was pre-injury. Very slow, to the point of possibly being incompatible with PL play. Defensive liability. Old enough that he isn't going to get quicker, young enough that he can still contribute for five years in another league. On a hefty wage.

Verdict: sell.

4) Voldemort. Another slow-moving individual, but one who occasionally pops up with a highlight-reel goal. Wrong side of 30, not going to get quicker. Hefty wage. Question mark over ongoing availability...

Verdict. Unlikely to play again, for us or any other club in England, very difficult to sell.

When viewed as part of a personnel group it's easy to see why Davies is NOT the first player we should be looking to sell. In fact, if we did somehow bring in another CM (by selling Delph or Gomes?) I'd still only loan young Thomas out. Get him 25 starts in the Prem for a Norwich, Brentford, Southampton or similar and he might start developing. At his age he needs to be playing every week.

I agree he is not good enough to displace Allan or Doucoure at the moment, but the problem is no-one else in the squad is either.

I think we need to see if Benitez can improve him.
I’d love to see it but i don’t think he’s going to see the pitch much, the players ahead of him are dominating.

edit in response to Tree: good case that he is first man up, but JPG ahead of him, an abscess doesn’t put him back on the “always injured” list for me

Status
Not open for further replies.