Match Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton. Sat Oct 14th 5.30

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m 43 and I`m just sick and tired of us being completely rubbish (For the want of a better word), since the Premier League started in 1992 30 seasons have gone by.

Finished in the top 4 just once
Finished in the top 6, 6 times
The other 24 seasons have been just meh
Finished 15th or below in 8 seasons
In that time Arsenal (3), Blackburn, Chelsea, Leicester, The RS, Man City (6), Man Utd (13) have all won the PL. Newcastle, Villa and Spurs have been PL Runners-Up with teams like Leeds, Norwich, Forest and Spurs (2) finishing 3rd.

Also in that time, in the FA Cup Arsenal (9), Chelsea (7), Leicester, Liverpool (3), Man City (2), Man Utd (5), Portsmouth and Wigan have all won the FA Cup. Arsenal, Villa (2), Chelsea (6), Palace, Hull, Liverpool (2), Man City, Man Utd (4), Middlesborough, Millwall, Newcastle (2), Portsmouth, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Stoke, Cardiff, Watford & West Ham have all been runners up.

In the League Cup Arsenal, Villa (2), Birmingham, Blackburn, Chelsea (4), Leicester (2), Liverpool (5), Man City (6), Man Utd (5), Middlesborough, Swansea & Spurs (2) have won the trophy. Runners-up have been Arsenal (3), Villa (2), Birmingham, Bolton, Bradford, Cardiff, Chelsea (4), Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool (2), Man Utd (2), Middlesborough (2), Notts Forest, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Sunderland, Spurs (4), Tranmere and Wigan. Yes Tranmere really have been to more League Cup finals than us in the last 30 years!

To put that in to context...... Bare in mind that in 1992 when Everton were the founding members of the Premier League we were a similar size to the "SKY 6"...

View attachment 187311

Cant see this club getting anywhere near major honours for at least another 10 years... at least.

What is the point of Everton? Teams like Middlesborough, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Wigan, Bolton and Cardiff, that is our level.
Signings like Maupay and McNeil, what do these guys offer?

You honestly believe that ?? Honestly ??? Christ on a bike … it was a stonewall penalty …. Pickford fumbled the ball, panicked and stupidly took out the player. If you can’t see or admit that then I give up.
Watch the replay again, Pickford gets finger tips on Kane’s foot, he couldn’t get out the way as Kane was trying to round him for some reason, it was a soft decision that should have gone to VAR

Evertonians, out of deep love for you I’m going to give you some invaluable, free advice.

Never attach your entire identity and self worth to a football team, and if you really must then choose someone better than Everton for your reflected glory.

It’s a game, lads, and a one where the chances of success are stacked against you. That you’ve persisted this far is tragic, should you continue in such a fashion further is just self harm.

I`m 43 and I`m just sick and tired of us being completely rubbish (For the want of a better word), since the Premier League started in 1992 30 seasons have gone by.

In that time Arsenal (3), Blackburn, Chelsea, Leicester, The RS, Man City (6), Man Utd (13) have all won the PL. Newcastle, Villa and Spurs have been PL Runners-Up with teams like Leeds, Norwich, Forest and Spurs (2) finishing 3rd.

Also in that time, in the FA Cup Arsenal (9), Chelsea (7), Leicester, Liverpool (3), Man City (2), Man Utd (5), Portsmouth and Wigan have all won the FA Cup. Arsenal, Villa (2), Chelsea (6), Palace, Hull, Liverpool (2), Man City, Man Utd (4), Middlesborough, Millwall, Newcastle (2), Portsmouth, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Stoke, Cardiff, Watford & West Ham have all been runners up.

In the League Cup Arsenal, Villa (2), Birmingham, Blackburn, Chelsea (4), Leicester (2), Liverpool (5), Man City (6), Man Utd (5), Middlesborough, Swansea & Spurs (2) have won the trophy. Runners-up have been Arsenal (3), Villa (2), Birmingham, Bolton, Bradford, Cardiff, Chelsea (4), Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool (2), Man Utd (2), Middlesborough (2), Notts Forest, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Sunderland, Spurs (4), Tranmere and Wigan. Yes Tranmere really have been to more League Cup finals than us in the last 30 years!

To put that in to context...... Bare in mind that in 1992 when Everton were the founding members of the Premier League we were a similar size to the "SKY 6"...

View attachment 187311

Cant see this club getting anywhere near major honours for at least another 10 years... at least.

What is the point of Everton? Teams like Middlesborough, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Wigan, Bolton and Cardiff, that is our level.
You are right. The best we can hope for in the next 10 years is to be what West ham are now and be the best outside the super 6. But it's going to be grim to see us in our new stadium getting spanked by the super 6 clubs as we likely won't have that fear factor goodison brings. And to be the best of the rest is the very best we can hope for, its more likely we will just be mid table mediocrity or relegation candidates for the foreseeable future.

It's pipe dreams to think that our young stars like onana, Patterson and Gordon will build us something for the future. Its far more likely someone like onana will just be sold when he's reached his potential. As someone a similar age to you I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for everton anymore and it's becoming a bit boring investing so much into them when that's the case.

Evertonians, out of deep love for you I’m going to give you some invaluable, free advice.

Never attach your entire identity and self worth to a football team, and if you really must then choose someone better than Everton for your reflected glory.

It’s a game, lads, and a one where the chances of success are stacked against you. That you’ve persisted this far is tragic, should you continue in such a fashion further is just self harm.
Self flagellationists.

View attachment 187311

Christ Almighty, thank God such migraine inducing forensic research isn't on here very much. I didn't allow it to influence today's hangover by not reading it except for the last paragraph. If you're really asking "what is the point of Everton" - like some passive aggressive outsider, you should review your misleading user name for starters.

That's a really depressing read .

Pretty much the state it was written in, just pretty peed off that friends of mine following clubs that consistently win or in European Competition, not just the Sly 6 and the Kopites are the worst, our biggest celebration in the last 28 years was staying up! Pretty embarassing stuff really isn`t it, what would we say to other clubs had we seen that?

Why can it never be us? We are the Premier League equivalent of Sunderland, big club but with no success. We never get near or threaten to win anything... It would be nice to get in Europe at least we`d have the away trips.

Last edited:
Pretty much the state it was written in, just pretty peed off that friends of mine following clubs that consistently win or in European Competition, not just the Sly 6 and the Kopites are the worst, our biggest celebration in the last 28 years was staying up! Pretty embarassing stuff really isn`t it, what would we say to other clubs had we seen that?

Why can it never be us? We are the Premier League equivalent of Sunderland, big club but with no success. We never get near or threaten to win anything... It would be nice to get in Europe at least we`d have the away trips.

Perhaps Moyes was the right choice to bring back all along.
Our quickest route back to being competitive is slow gradual incremental improvement and no more quick fixes. We need to be smart and stop making decisions that have no long term upside.

Our quickest route back to being competitive is slow gradual incremental improvement and no more quick fixes. We need to be smart and stop making decisions that have no long term upside.
Being realistic, Everton will not challenge for a league title for the 30 or 40 years I`ve got left to live, best we can hope for is the odd cup win. Those top 6 are just too big and their revenues dwarf the rest of the league put together.

Everton is that one friend we all have that is just "nice" and delighted just to be taking part.

Status
Not open for further replies.