Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Holgate turns out like John Sfones, we won't be complaining in two years.

But that's the thing, will it help the here and now?

Irrespective of how important this signing is to the coming season (not very) I'm really happy with Martinez's approach of lowering our squad's average age.

He's got his thoughts firmly on the future, on building something.

While the screaming eye bleeders see only the game in front of their face, or the coming season at most, Martinez sees the long game.

Credit it to him for holding onto that foresight, in this fevered short term panic we all seem wrapped up in.

I'm still 100% convinced there's one or two heavyweight signings to come this window, too.

All's good.

There's a Barnsley fan who posts on here eggs and has mentioned he's a decent prospect and high hopes for him.

Can't remember the fellas name though sorry. Hopefully he will be pop on later as he was on here a week ago talking about the Stones rumours to Chelsea and I'm sure that's when he mentioned Holgate.

...cheers, Maccavennie. It was Mark Lawrenson a few years ago who said Moyes had told him about a youngster at Barnsley called Stones so I knew he could be special. Encouraging for me is that RM also wanted him at Wigan which is a sign that he too can identify talent. Let's hope we get Holgate in and that he's a future first teamer.

These youth signings like Galloway henen holgate, the rumored but not happening Argentine kid are great in my mind. We can't compete financially with the top 4 plus the RS and Spurs so we have to build from within and early

Has someone exploded in rage and simply subcontracted their fuming out?

Outsourced my fuming to India mate - its about 40% cheaper and saves my stressing for family and work. They have promised to fume within 5 minutes of someone else signing a continental or championship player and reach fume-con 4 within 2 hours if there is no club statement. They also offered a free hamstring fume on Saturdays but only for home games. expect to see my posts being delivered by 'allan' in Chennai going forward. He knows a lot about EFC and has read a book on Scouse etiquette.

Many on here seem to share your thoughts. There is however a marked difference between signing players the club want, and just signing players for the sake of spending money.

As ever it'll go down to the wire, I anticipate some incomings to cover the gaps in the squad. I'm a touch more patient than most though.
This is a fair point but still, considering how close you were to breaking the monopoly the Oil & SKY clubs have on the League it must be frustrating to sit on the sidelines as rival clubs sign quality that you could use.

Unlike the majority other clubs outside the "Top 5" you have the advantage of being able to keep your best players. The likes of Coleman, Baines, Stones, Barkley & Lukaku are all Top 4 calibre players in one capacity or another. I think with a little more ambition you could break into the Top 4, this isn't the 00's, there are no truly special teams in the Premier League anymore. Obviously it's easy to say this in hindsight but a little over £30m could've gotten you Begovic, Shaqiri & Payet which would've immediately sorted out your 3 problem areas.

Admittedly you have a vastly better understanding of your club than I do but this is just my opinion from the outside looking in.

Kone our prime back up striker - let that sink in.

20 days left in the window - let that sink in.

Romeu signing for Southampton is a very good signing IMO.

Oh who isn't a good signing? Stoke, Southampton, West Ham ... all of them are constantly making great signings. It's almost as if you throw a rock and you'll find an amazing player for 5-10m.

I'm frustrated we haven't signed anyone else (on the senior level) but it also simply cannot be that all these players are as good as people make out. And if there are SO many greats then why do we care about missing out? Just sign the next one. For less because everyone already got their great player.

Irrespective of how important this signing is to the coming season (not very) I'm really happy with Martinez's approach of lowering our squad's average age.

While the screaming eye bleeders see only the game in front of their face, or the coming season at most, Martinez sees the long game.

Credit it to him for holding onto that foresight, in this fevered short term panic we all seem wrapped up in.

I'm still 100% convinced there's one or two heavyweight signings to come this window, too.

All's good.

I fully agree with what you are saying, players he has either given a chance to, or signed include:

Besic
Barkley
Lukaku
Deulofeu
Stones
Garbutt
Galloway
Browning
McAleny
Joel
McCarthy

However, these must be supplemented with players of the correct age. Old players include:

Kone
Barry
Howard
Jags
Baines
Pienaar
Osman

Therefore, we are only left with a middle group of:

McGeady
Mirallas
Oviedo
Coleman
Naismith
Gibson

And Gibson is always injured, Oviedo has had injury troubles, Mirallas is in and out of injury, Naismith isn't good enough. So we don't really have too much in this department. We need a loan or two from this group to get us through to seeing a fully developed first group.

This is a fair point but still, considering how close you were to breaking the monopoly the Oil & SKY clubs have on the League it must be frustrating to sit on the sidelines as rival clubs sign quality that you could use.

Unlike the majority other clubs outside the "Top 5" you have the advantage of being able to keep your best players. The likes of Coleman, Baines, Stones, Barkley & Lukaku are all Top 4 calibre players in one capacity or another. I think with a little more ambition you could break into the Top 4, this isn't the 00's, there are no truly special teams in the Premier League anymore. Obviously it's easy to say this in hindsight but a little over £30m could've gotten you Begovic, Shaqiri & Payet which would've immediately sorted out your 3 problem areas.

Admittedly you have a vastly better understanding of your club than I do but this is just my opinion from the outside looking in.

Thanks allan.

All's good.

I fully agree with what you are saying, players he has either given a chance to, or signed include:

Besic
Barkley
Lukaku
Deulofeu
Stones
Garbutt
Galloway
Browning
McAleny
Joel
McCarthy

However, these must be supplemented with players of the correct age. Old players include:

Kone
Barry
Howard
Jags
Baines
Pienaar
Osman

Therefore, we are only left with a middle group of:

McGeady
Mirallas
Oviedo
Coleman
Naismith
Gibson

And Gibson is always injured, Oviedo has had injury troubles, Mirallas is in and out of injury, Naismith isn't good enough. So we don't really have too much in this department. We need a loan or two from this group to get us through to seeing a fully developed first group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back