Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@neil999 (kept writing pete lol )

Draxler
Turan
Totti
Tevez
James Rodriguez
Wayne Rooney
Eden Hazard
Arjen Robben
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Lionel MEssi

Theres ten of the top number 10s in the world mate, according to 90minutes

I'm in no way condoning the way the club is run but perhaps they are trying to run the club within its means? Having just increased a number of key players wages too must affect budgets? I'd not want us to go mental with big signings if it may put us in significant debt. (And i do check this site and the rest of the net in the hope of big signings!). I think that Shaq lad at Stoke might be a bit of a nightmare though!

I think that is a sensible way of doing things as well. I think it's the manner of how it's being done is problematic though. There is no foresight.

If we assume that Stones is a 30 million asset, either this summer or next. Why not spend the 30 million, 12 on a number 10 and 2 centre backs for 15 million? The way we poke around, waiting to do everything at the last minute leads us to being vulnerable.

That's how it worked under Moyes - you'd hope (and I'd hope fans of Martinez would hope it too) that our current manager has a bit more dignity than to be put in a position where he says one thing definitively in a presser, only to have the rug pulled from under his feet and just tamely accept it.

Regardless of what I think of Martinez tactically, he's undeniably got a bit more class and dignity about him than our last one did.

This transfer window will prove a lot of things really. It's an interesting one.

Like it worked with Moyes, I just don't see it working with Martinez, because I don't see it being all about the money with him.

I think we are trying to do dirt cheap deals for the likes of Evans, Lennon and possibly Austin. All of which are entering the last year of their contracts, so they believe they may be able to get them cheaper come deadline day. I can't see us getting this creative midfielder that we clearly need.

It will. Top six would be seen as a very good effort punching above our weight. 7th to 10th is seen as reasonable...more especially if you spend sweet fa.

I thought that, but it really won't. Do you not remember the Moyes years? We'll be getting accused of winning the 6th placed trophy, lacking a winning mentality, accepting mediocrity etc. I believe Evertonians are the best fans in the world but at times their belief that Everton should be winning the league is a tad ambitious. Kenwright knows how to manipulate us/them to a tea.

Martinez saying Stones isn't for sale (again) doesn't mean anything. Hlollies all the time. Manager's have to. No matter how far down the line (or not) negotiations are, he would never say that. What he should say is "we don't want to sell him, but we will if a silly deadline day bid comes in. Then we will be signing players with that money".

No inside info here at all, just my own opinion. But I think Stones will go on deadline day. I think about 3 days before the window shuts he will put in a transfer request. Then Martinez gets to use his "we didn't want to sell, but at the same time we don't want to keep people here who aren't committed" line. Plus the request will cancel any signing on fee Stones would have been due. Nothing will happen without a transfer request because then Stones looks like the bad guy. Same with Rooney, Lescott, Arteta, Rodwell, and Fellaini.

I think the Stones transfer/lack of transfer is obviously affecting our dealings. At the moment we are probably looking for 5-10mil players, but if Stones goes that will obviously change drastically.

This is exactly why the window should shut before the season starts!

Mourinho: "Everton could come out now and say he's not for sale and that's the end of it."
Martinez: "John is not for sale, and that is the end of it."

At some point you have to take what is being said on face value. Yes, managers often skirt around questions, but in this instance there's a few factors in play that suggest Stones is staying. First off, Martinez would now look very silly if he went, as he's just said we're not a selling club, we're not selling players, John isn't going etc.

Secondly, the big money enters the league next season.

Third, player prices increase after international tournaments.

Fourth, he's under a long term contract and he's young. It's harder for him to sulk his way to a move as he jeopardises his own career.

And fifth, his personality. If this was Sterling, I'd agree with you. It's not though - Stones has been silent, and nothing indicates he is nothing but a top professional in how he approaches his career. I can't see him unsettling himself when he knows he has bigger moves possible in the future if he carries on developing.

Too many factors for me suggesting he's going nowhere - but after today, the number one factor is the sheer confidence from Martinez in that press conference. It suggests to me the discussion is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back