Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can picture the following scene in a couple of weeks.

We havent signed anyone at that point.
We have gained at most 1 point from our next two games
We wake up on deadline day to find out Chelsea have come back with an improved bid for Stones.
One of lukaku/del/MCCarthy pick up a semi serious injury
All reported targets signed for other clubs

Call me negative buy can anyone else see this? the problem here i think is not necesserily the lack of transfer activity but the 'looking to strengthen' attitude along with all the other mystical soundbytes. Fact of the matter is, if roberto came out and said we will sign 3 first team players by the end of the window, i think we would all be a little bit more relieved about the whole thing.

My other worry is last summer will happen, and these 3 players he wants to sign, two of them are the young argentine and holgate.

Honestly, can't see it. Martinez has been too strong on the three players line. We'll sign three players, probably one by the middle of next week is my view. I also think they'll be of good quality - my instinct is we have them basically signed, sealed and waiting to be delivered, and the selling clubs are bringing in replacements of their own before letting go.

I even think the "doing business early" thing was true too - and has in a way been done. Deulofeu and Cleverley are two first team players wrapped up very early. If you look around, barring Sterling I think the bigger transfers are still to come all around.

I didn't hear the press conference but the message from the manager has not changed in over three weeks. I think the three he wants have been identified, I think we may be further down the line with these than we are afraid to dream and I have serious doubt about the level of interest we ever had in Shaqiri.

Spot on in my view. I think Shaqiri, at most, was something that become available, we thought "well... maybe worth negating the risk on him by loaning first", and then it wasn't on so we ducked out as he wasn't a prime target.

He has just clearly said, he is confident of 3 new signings. Therefore, the board are about to cough. Although you should capture this rare moment.

ah yeah, they've probably taken their time. we'll see how much the total of 3 signings cost before patting them on the back though. i don't think spending the £30m from the TV deal is my idea of "coughing up" though.

I wonder how Mourinho will react now when it's put to him in his press conference that Martinez has said exactly what he asked him to say?

Will he shrug and accept it on face value? Or come out with some snide remark to deflect the question?

Or will it not get mentioned because the press are so far up his backside and have been desperate to play a part in Chelsea's shenanigans...

Due to his remaining contract length, £15m is very steep and that's what is putting off bids IMO.

I think he's a very decent player, but the fee has to be realistic at around £10m given it's a relegated club, as well as being in his last year and, as you say, still being unproven.

I wonder if QPR know they are not going to get the £15m and that's why they're doing it. At the end of the day, it would be worth the gamble of him going on a free when his contract it up because he's the player who can get them back up to the prem, and the money they gain coming back into the prem far outweighs what they lose on him going on a free. Also, if they do come back up they could just offer him a bumper new contract and he stays.

lol plenty of our players or players in general are not for sale.

If the matters closed, fantastic! don't want to sell him.

Will be interesting to see if the media carry his line "He's not for sale, that's the end of it". After all, that was what Mourinho wanted him to say, wasn't it? Or will the media just ignore it and keep peddling their rumours?

Moyes gave himself a get out clause with Rooney. Martinez just gave himself none whatsoever.

The player is staying, or Martinez is a liar, or the board are utter bells. They are the only three outcomes. If the latter two occur, Martinez should consider his position - not because of an agenda of mine, but because he either lied to the fans or, more likely, he's had the rug pulled out from under him.

He is not a stupid man - he would not have answered the questions in that presser that way unless he had something to base his comments on.

If he doesn't go, will you credit Martinez for being stronger than Moyes and being in control of what's going on??

Particularly with Moyes basically admitting when he left with his comments about how Everton work that he was just a yes man as well.

I wonder if QPR know they are not going to get the £15m and that's why they're doing it. At the end of the day, it would be worth the gamble of him going on a free when his contract it up because he's the player who can get them back up to the prem, and the money they gain coming back into the prem far outweighs what they lose on him going on a free. Also, if they do come back up they could just offer him a bumper new contract and he stays.

Agreed. I think the player will force the move through late on but QPR are trying their luck a bit and playing chicken with the deadline. They have two "win" options in either getting £15m or keeping the player - I don't think they're ultimately in a position of strength though, so my bet is he'll go for around £12m including addons.

If he doesn't go, will you credit Martinez for being stronger than Moyes and being in control of what's going on??

Particularly with Moyes basically admitting when he left with his comments about how Everton work that he was just a yes man as well.

I already do. Moyes was basically Kenwright's apologist. That's why I don't want to see Martinez end up the same way - I liked what I saw when he said he'd get us in the Champions League; it's the right goal to aim for. The wrong goal would be picking up Bills' pay cheque and toeing the line whilst preserving your own reputation, which was Moyes in his last five years here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back